Wednesday, October 29, 2008

::pumpity pumpkin patch::

20081018-IMG_7438-pola01.jpg
Last week we went on a quest to find ourselves some really great pumpkins.
We headed out to a farm in Massachusetts hoping to pick some for ourselves.

It was a cute farm. It looked like they also had pick-your-own raspberries and flowers. Unfortunately for me the raspberries had pretty much all died the night before when it froze outside.
The first thing we saw there at the farm was a big truckload of huge beautiful peppers. And since I've recently taught myself to like peppers I could really appreciate them.
20081018-IMG_7426.JPG

We waited outside until a tractor came to drive us out to the pumpkin "patch". You'll see why I put that in parenthesis later.
Off we went on the tractor, and it was cold and chilly out there! It was the coldest day we've had so far.
20081018-IMG_7428.JPG
Cute boys!
The tractor dropped us off at a little corn maze. (In which I think all paths led out to the "patch")
This was Max's first corn maze. He thought it was pretty cool.
20081018-IMG_7429.JPG

20081018-IMG_7431.JPG

20081018-IMG_7432.JPG

Then we popped out the other side, and there we were at the "patch."
20081018-IMG_7435.JPG
Does that look like a patch to you? I've never seen quite such an orderly patch. Pretty amazing the way they get them to grow like that!
Last year we went to a great patch in Kansas City and we really got to choose and pick our own. It was really fun. So that's more like what we expected. But this was fun too. Just kind of more civilized than we were really going for.

So anyway, we went to find our own special pumpkins. Kris spied his right away. There was no question.
20081018-IMG_7440.JPG

It took Max a few tries to find the right one.
20081018-IMG_7444.JPG

20081018-IMG_7436.JPG

20081018-20081018-IMG_7453-1.jpg
"Picking" pumpkins is a lot of work.

But picking up huge pumpkins is a lot harder.
20081018-IMG_7441.JPG
This was the biggest pumpkin we've ever had by far.
20081018-IMG_7443.JPG

20081018-IMG_7454.JPG
Cool dudes with some cool pumpkins.

20081018-20081018-IMG_7448-1.jpg
I picked the one on the right for Sultan, and then found another cool orange one. Perfect for a scary or cute face.

Then we headed back to the tractor. Or at least we tried to.
20081018-IMG_7456.JPG
But Max's pumpkin got a little heavy for him after about two seconds of carrying it.
20081018-IMG_7455.JPG
And tried to wimp out.
But he had to carry it himself or leave it behind, because Kris was carrying the heaviest pumpkin ever, and I had two medium sized ones plus a camera. So he toughed it out, and somehow even climbed the steps to the tractor bed with his pumpkin.  He doesn't like to have to show he's actually tough because then we make him do stuff.
He almost dropped his pumpkin in the parking lot on the way to the car, but he made it there too luckily.
20081018-IMG_7457.JPG
And we sat down for the bouncy ride back to the parking lot.
20081018-IMG_7458.JPG
All in all, even though we didn't get to pick anything, and didn't get the chance to get 100% muddy we had a great time. We got great pumpkins and would do it again!

5 comments:

{Erica} said...

sweet pictures and what fun day. I knew you'd dig the polaroid link :)

Rachel said...

Okay, that is funny! I've never seen anything quite like it! Well, at least you got to ride on the tractor and go through a corn maze.....what a silly "patch"

Kathy said...

That is an amazing patch. Not what I would have expected at all. I guess like you say at least you don't get dirty that way.

Kris'pumpkin was awesome. Great pictures.

K said...

Okay, I'll have to call you tomorrow and talk processing talk. You can't have gotten all those startling highlights and oranges SOTC. If you did, I'm just going to lie down and quit the biz. Not the mothering biz, because I obviously did a crack job of that. Just the thinking-I-ever-was-good-at-anything-else biz.

That shot of the cool guys with the cool pumpkins? Yeah. I want a print of that. Where did you get the other prints, by the way, and why did you not do the one of you big, because that's what I wanted, my gorgeous baby in gorgeous color and gorgeous size.

The ivy is in the frame on the table, and it's simply smashing. I wish I'd bought the morning glory too. I could paper my walls with you.

I'm going to bed.

Amanda D said...

Great shots! I love a day at the pumpkin patch. Too bad about Kris' giant pumpkin being taken. But now you don't have to clean it out, I guess.