
Max's new past time seems to be asking me a whole bunch of tough questions, whenever he can.
He likes to ask me about definitions of words a lot. Like yesterday we were going to pick up Kris's mom at the airport. He said to me, "What does air mean?" So I told him. Air is something we breathe. Air is what's all around us. Then he said, "What does pork mean?" I'm like, pork? He's like, "NO! PORT!" Then I finally figured out what he was really asking. And that was what does airport mean. That I could tell him. For once, something I could explain.
Also yesterday he asked me the following: "Where is heaven?" Oh boy. When I told him that heaven is where Heavenly Father lives, he said, "oh, it's too bad he died." So I had to explain to him that Heavenly Father isn't dead. And why he lives in heaven if he isn't dead. The inspired the question, "So where was I before I was in heaven before I was born." Ahh!

He loves to ask me questions while we watch movies too. Every time we watch the Pixar movie Ratatouille, he asks me the same set of questions. Over and over. And I give him the same answers. It's pretty goofy.
Earlier this week we were watching an informational video on Disney World. (prepping for the december trip, yay.)
We saw something on the pirates of the caribbean ride, and saw a whole bunch of little boys in pirate outfits with swords. Max started to look very concerned and asked me, "Why are pirates good?"
So this is really a very tough question when you think about it! Why are pirates, who kill and plunder and steal and do all sorts of bad stuff, so well liked?
And I don't really know the answer. So I cheated a bit and told him that some pirates just ARE good. Like the pirates on Sesame Street who 'love to read'. He was cool with that.
But I've thought about that question since and I still don't know the answer. The kid makes me think sometimes. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

And if you want some more fun kid question entertainment, head over to my friend Marilyn's blog for a fun post. You won't be disappointed.



6 comments:
Oh Max- What a funny kid!
Pirates are NOT good. Neither are monsters or ghosts. People like to pretend to be these things for odd reasons. Maybe because they are afraid of these things and feel like, if they can dress up like them, they won't have to be afraid of them any more.
In these days, any little toughness we can add to our outsides beefs up our courage inside, I guess. And maybe we dress up like that on halloween because it's the night before All Saint's Day when the saints walk the earth and bless people - and the evening before is when all the imps and the tempters come out, to try to steal the souls before the saints can save them. So the people dress up like imps and scary things so that the scary things will see them and think, "Hey, somebody's already working this house!! Guess we'll just have to move on!!"
He asks good questions. Hey - his questions are WAY harder than yours were.
It's funny, our kids seem a lot alike. I wonder if this is just a stage they're both going through, or if it's more of a personality thing? I'd like to meet that little Max guy. He sounds like he is a fun one to have around. :)
We recently went through one of those Heaven questions. Isobel made up her own answers though of heaven belonging in her heart. I couldn't actually disagree because I didn't know where it was either. Do you think she would accept "all around us but on a different dimension?"
I think that Pirates are good because my entire resume has been built up because of Pirates.
This is great. Derek isn't into questions yet obviously, but he is very interested in things.
The pirates question is very timely because there are suddenly big problems with pirates again off the coast of Africa. This is stuff we figured went out of style in the 1800's. And these guys are definitely bad guys.
Love you
Grampa Guy
Post a Comment