Sunday, October 12, 2008

Filler until Ginna's computer gets fixed

Well, it's sad times at our house when Ginna's computer is broken. Remember the computer in Willy Wonka'a Chocolate Factory? It's supposed to tell everyone where the golden tickets are, but it can't. Everyone watching the computer gets bummed. It's like that around here.
 It's actually not that bad since we expect that we'll have her computer back on Tuesday.  So, in the meantime, I'll (kris) put up some stuff from the "other" perspective on our life.  But, instead of using great pictures, I'll use raw cell phone pictures to tell my story. 
ugly teeth
This is called a dens-in-dente. It's a tooth in a tooth. pretty cool huh? I found one of these growing in a kid I saw a few weeks ago. This tooth is sliced up so you can see it better. Since I spend my days trying to fix teeth in unusually poorly behaved kids, this is cool to me. I hope it doesn't gross you out too much. A little bit is good, however.
1st time on roof
We work in an old hospital that is slowly closing down--not the dental, we're strong and busy as ever, but everything else is dying. So, we went exploring and found access to the roof. Don't tell security. This is Brian and Dan with me after we first got up there. We've started having lunch up there regularly and we've even added some chairs. Lunch in our secret garden is one of the highlights of my week.
super roof
This just gives a taste for the view we have.
Max at Home Depot
When Max and dad go out he gets to do some things that Mom doesn't always allow. He loves sitting on the tractors at Home Depot. I was really proud of him on this particular trip because as we were walking through the huge parking lot, Max read the name of the store on the sign and said "Home Depot" (home dee-pot). "What's a dee-pot?" Good question, they didn't teach us that in tooth school. It's the place where daddy takes max after max breaks the chalk board dad made for him and now we have to repair it.
east bay bike path 1
The other day I tried something that always fails: attempt to accomplish something important while entertaining Max at the same time. This time it was me trying to exercise. I was going to run down the bike path by the bay and Max was going to ride his bike with me. Well, it didn't work out. I ended up playing games with Max the whole time (not always on purpose) and I didn't break a sweat. But he loved it and that made me happy, even if I was less fit for it.
green river 019
This is proof that I have at one point in my life caught a fish with my fly rod. Ginna's dad, Guy, and I went to the Green River in Wyoming/Utah and I caught a fish.
I don't think that I've pulled it off since then, although I've tried several times. Now, fishing is more like hiking through a river with a big stick that has constantly tangled string on it. I'm also good at losing flies to trees. I need Guy to take me out some more so I can figure this out. I mean, I like walking in rivers, but I wouldn't mind catching the occasional fish. The next pictures are shots from the Wood River in Rhode Island where I went river hiking aka fishing this weekend.
Wood River
Wood River 2
The river was very picturesque and I actually had a relaxing hike. I even thought I saw a fish.
gravestone 2
Here is a gravestone I found when I was trying to exercise Ginna's land rover after my little fishing trip. I was driving some horse trails and I found this super old graveyard. Just think, in 1813, our church (mormonism) didn't even exist. This place is so old.

Remember this?
Ginbari
Remember when we were young and played strange musical instruments? I scanned a bunch of old pictures a couple of weeks ago. I like this because it reminds me of the great times Ginna and I had when we were first married and trying to live very interestingly. Here is Ginna playing Bari-sax at a restaurant at the UN headquarters in Vienna. We played in a really bad jazz band together and she was a good sport by playing the instrument that they needed even though she hates playing instruments that are bigger than she is. And really hates putting her mouth on an instrument that doesn't belong to her.
I though playing music on the streets would be romantic. Ginna helped me realize that dream that same summer. It was fun and I definitely got the urge out of my system. Don't we look cool in this picture though?
tunes

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Hey is was so nice to see you actually contribute to this post. I miss hearing your witty words. Great picture of the roof secret Garden. It looks fun. It's been fun to be here and witness some of these things.

Love the old pictures of you and ginna. you look so young.

K said...

But you still are young, ain't you? I, too, am enjoying the glimpse into the "other" side of your family life. I am, I have to admit, more than a little uncomfortable to see Max and Bike standing there on such a narrow shoulder (shudder of apprehension).

I couldn't tell what I was looking at with the nested tooth thing. You should have drawn some arrows and stuff.

Write on, MacDuff.

Kris said...

yay, what a fun post! I think that was much more than filler.
And mom, that's the shoulder of a bike path--not the road! :)

Those iphone pictures sure look good, I have to say.

Ginna said...

OK, so that last comment was from ME if you couldn't already tell!

K said...

Ummm - yeah, well I've seen roads in Wales narrower than that with speed limits of 60 km. So you're in Rhode Island, one of the ancient states. How was I to know?

Anonymous said...

Kris

I have been catching LOTS of fish on the provo with teeny dry flies over the past few weeks. I could feel the summer winding down and just had to get out before everything froze over. That river looks very inviting. We'll have to get together and give it a try .

Very fun post

Guy