The weather was so gorgeous the week while she was here, we were in short sleeves and sandals, and the beach was just perfect.
We took Sultan with us, because after Labor day dogs are finally allowed on the beach. We hadn't brought him there yet, so we thought this was a good opportunity to try.
We laid out a blanket and told Max to stay out of the water. Well, we took his shoes off and told him he could dip his toes in.

Hah.
Luckily along with lunch we were also smart enough to bring some extra clothes and a towel for Max. But really I figured it was going to be too cold and uncomfortable for him to want to get all soaked. Boy was I wrong!
The boys went and played football for a bit.



That was pretty fun.
Then we went on a little walk down the beach. Sultan and Max found a gross little estuary left over from a higher tide, and of course they both basically wallowed in it.

It didn't smell that great.

Max made some sort of art installation. I like it.



Kris climbed out on some rocks in the surf, and it really worried Sultan. Can you see him trying to get out there? He was really relieved when Kris came back.

Sultan was afraid of the surf. It was a first for him, and he couldn't figure out why the water kept coming and going. He would jump away whenever it got close.

Sultan was fun to have along except that he kept getting sandy and muddy and then running all over our blanket. That did not make me happy.
And any time he thought there was another dog around (which was more often than you'd think) he'd run away up over the hill out of sight, which I hate.
Even that was ok, but one time he brought a dog back with him. The dog seemed friendly enough. But of course they ran straight onto the blanket, where I was sitting, and started running around. THEN the other dog decided it was all upset and started to growl and attack Sultan. Basically right on top of me. I had to scramble out of the way. It was pretty uncool, and after that we sent Sultan back to the car. I don't like dogfights happening on top of me for some reason.
There was old dead crusty seaweed all over the beach. I guess nobody cleans it up after Labor day. It was fine except that it really hurt our feet to walk on it. It was really spikey. But guess who it didn't bother? Max!
Check it out.

He walked all over that stuff and didn't even blink. This must be why he can walk all over his toys when they're all over the floor and not even notice. I should be so lucky.
We ate, we lay in the sun for a while, then we got Max all cleaned up and changed and we went home.
It was great. We were so glad we went. It couldn't have been nicer.
I love the beach out here. I think it's my favorite part of Rhode Island for sure. And I'm guessing Max probably feels the same way.
We're still working to convince Sultan.



4 comments:
Wonderful. I can feel the rhythm of the surf, and the yucky stick doggy sand. I'm going to start putting my old headers on the old messages. Is that what you've done here? Because otherwise they go to waste and that's too sad.
I am really enjoying your language as well, bucko.
Rachel's home today.
Ginna
Thanks for taking us along to the beach with you. It was a fun trip. We miss you all, even the sandy paws.
Love
Dad
I'm thinking i could look at your photos all day. I love seeing the world through your eyes.
I LOVE all these pictures. It makes me homesick for the beach...
Post a Comment