This is still often a problem, but we started with small tasks, and we've got some improvement.
He can now button his own pants (usually). He zips and buttons, and actually pulls his pants up which is a huge improvement--if you recall the whole reason why he had to have stitches in his chin is because he used to walk around the house with his pants around his ankles after using the facilities. I'm glad we seem to have moved past that.


Please excuse the nekkedness. It's just such a cute belly. He was very very proud of himself when he first figured it out. Snapping pants is really tougher than it looks, let me tell you. And there was only one pair of pants he could button for a long time, so he had to wear those pants every day for a while. Luckily we've moved past that. Now there are like 3 pair he can wear.
One of the other things we've been working on his having him put on his own seatbelt. Ok, I know that this is just exposing our slackerness--we probably should've had him doing this for like the last two years. I'm sure you all with multiple kids had your first strapping themselves in at 18 months. But Max is lucky enough right now to fill the roles of both oldest kid and the baby of the family, so he gets certain benefits I guess. (Not sure if they're really benefits, but whatever!) Mostly we're just always in a hurry when we go anywhere.
So now he's pretty darn good at strapping himself in! It's nice. Except we probably still strap him in more than we should--he's just so darn slow.
He's proud of this skill too and so are we.


Now just imagine his little voice saying, "I DID it!!"

His latest trick? He's figuring out how to zip up his own jacket. Now that's hard. He's only been able to it a couple of times, but he's still trying.

Kris and I just have to try to be more patient, and take the time to let him do these things himself. It's good for him to feel like he's capable, and has responsibilities of his own. We're proud of him. He sure is growing up.

And like I keep saying I do have more grandpa guy posts coming. I am just so behind on everything right now because of school. Only one more month!



10 comments:
I just want to squeeze him when I see that cute little belly and that cute face. Can't wait to see him in just a few weeks. I am proud of him and all he is learning. Way to go mom.
Great pictures! I can't wait until my youngest can buckle himself up in the car... Not having to do that every time we get in or out would be wonderful.
I think the zippers are the hardest thing. But he's so amazing - and so are you. Another thing I love is to see Kathy's comments. What a blessed girl you are to have such a woman in your life. Her kindness and her creativity - you picked well, kid.
Yay Gin! Stick to the end. I'm so proud of my big nephew Max. I remember when Gram taught me to tie my shoes. now THAT rocked.
Way to go Max! and you're right, he does have one cute belly! :)
it's official, I want your camera lens.
Cute Max! Way to go! We just got Parker to start buckling himself in the car too, its so nice! And you gotta love small booster seats that are easy to get in and out of.
I'm impressed that he can snap his pants! Parker won't even try that one. He says it hurts his fingers. Oh well, one day. Maybe when your here this summer Max can teach him :)
Max was making pretty good progress in zipping his jacket when I was there. But it's hard not to get it stuck. I got my zipper on my jacket stuck just yesterday morning and it took me ten minutes to make it work again.
love you
Dad
Wow he is growing up so fast. I love the detailed picture of his little hands working so hard.
From just glancing at that first picture, I thought you were going to say that you taught him to do the truffle shuffle. THAT would be amazing.
Post a Comment