I was thinking about ways that we could decorate that would be fun for Max, and maybe even include him somehow. I thought maybe an advents calendar would work. I couldn't really find any that I liked though, and I was reading a magazine that suggested giving small gifts as an advents calender. So I thought I would go for it and do it myself. I got a playmobil nativity scene and wrapped all the individual pieces, also wrapped up some boxes with little treats and a few christmas books that we already owned (that Max doesn't remember at all) and some PJs for christmas eve and then numbered them all. I didn't think this would be that hard, but it took me almost an entire saturday to do it!
I put the little presents in some pretty green and red bowls with some pine cones and ornaments and placed them on the table next to my lovely nativity.
What do you think?
So far it's been working out great for Max. He's able to keep track of what number each day is and he loves the playmobil. We've been talking about the different characters of the nativity as we open them up. I hope it's helping him to learn. It's definitely helping to build excitement for Christmas for all of us I think!
Stay tuned for part 2....



8 comments:
I think you did a great job! I loved how you wrapped each present and added them to your decorations! I'll have to remember to do that when Nate is a little older!
That is a really cute idea Ginna. It looks great!
what are great idea and the table looks adorable! such a good and creative mom!
Ginna
You have done such a great job making the holiday for your little family. My heart aches that we are so far apart.
love to you guys
I was going to say that I love the illusion of abundance—the spilling over of small, shining packages, the stuffing of bowls with greenery and bits of glass. But I have to temper that statement, because this is not an illusion—it's a reminder, a reminder of the great blessings we take for granted as simply part of what life is.
Actually, life is basically a much colder thing. Our beautiful shelters, our readily available and various supply of wonderful foods—these things are a blessing that we won't fully appreciate until they are lost. Like the homes of the folks up in Washington who have been flooded.
So the statement actually runs: I love the reminder of our abundance. Our excitement and our gratitude should run neck and neck when we see that shining pile of surprises - and when that happens, we can feel a real and palpable delight.
My favorite part of all this is the way Max is opening that little present with slow and great care, as if the present were precious and he is full of wonder. That's why we taught you guys never to tear the paper.
We love you guys -
Whoa! That's a great idea.
I can tell you worked at a giftwrap shop 'cause those gifts loook TASTY!
What a cute idea! Fun! Can I come live at your place?
Oh that is such a darling idea! You are such a wonderful mother do you know that? I hope you do. I loved your idea of putting jingle bells on the tree for Max and wanting to involve him in Christmas. That is what it is all about you know. Good job mommy!
Post a Comment