So we decided that on sunday when we were on our way home we would stop in and see what there was to see.
First of all the landscape there is totally amazing. Vermont may well be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and this area is definitely high on the list of beautiful Vermont. As soon as we got off the freeway we could see the rolling wooded hills and the granite rocks. The White river runs right next to the road for some of the way and it has big granite shelves sticking out from the river bed. Hard to describe, but so dang pretty!
It was rainy and chilly on sunday, but the rain just seemed to intensify the leaves that have already changed colors.

We didn't know what to expect at this site. We knew that the church had something there, but not the details.
Driving up was kind of like driving into the temple grounds. Lovely landscaping and flowers--very well maintained. It looks like the stake center for the area is on that property. It was cool because the building is made in the new england style, with white boarded sides and a straight steeple. It's fun to see chapels built in different styles.
When we got out of the car the view was beautiful! And they have a sound system throughout the area with music from the mormon tabernacle choir playing. That had the potential to be a little cheesy and over the top, but it was actually nice. It added to the peaceful feeling there.

There's a big monument to Joseph that was set up in like 1905. It's supposed to be the biggest single piece of granite in the US or something like that. The story of how they got the stone there was pretty amazing. It involved lots of teams of horses, many weeks and a lot of prayers.

The monument looks like it could've been made yesterday, the cuts all look really fresh. It's hard to believe that it's been there for over 100 years.

The landscape around is beautiful and peaceful. Behind the monument there are some dirt roads where you can go back and see the ruins of the foundation of Lucy Smith's parents' home and some of the remnants of the old roads and bridges. The main road from canada to Boston at the time ran basically right in front of the Smith's gate. It sure would be interesting to see what it would really be like to live back then.
The view from the hill is gorgeous too. The house on the left is where they have a lot of paintings and info about Joseph and where the senior missionaries give tours. We're not sure what the house on the right is for.

The tour was really nice and well given. They had recovered the hearthstone from the house where Joseph was born and installed it there. There was also a rocking chair which Joseph had made at some point.
We enjoyed it. And even Max listened for a while.
I was a little embarrassed because we were pretty yucky from camping for three days, but oh well. The senior sister missionary from Reno took our picture anyway and told us to come back for their christmas light show. So we must not have smelled that bad, right?
I'm so glad we stopped. The feeling there was so nice. So peaceful and happy. It's my favorite of all the church sites I've visited. I'd love to go back.
As we were driving out Max said, "I sure wish we could stay here." I asked him why and he said, "Well, Joseph Smith was born there, whaddaya think?"



6 comments:
That Max. You can count on him to tell it like it is, little cutie.
That is exactly how I feel about this place! It is SO pretty. I had a great experience there too.
The house on the right (in your picture) is where the missionaries live (from what I can remember.) I also thought it was cool that the monument is 38 1/2' tall because Joseph Smith was 38 1/2 when he died.
ANYWAY, I think we should go to Vermont together. That sounds fun.
We've been there before but I had forgotten the details. It is beautiful. I think you should go back for the Christmas lights show. We'd love to see the pictures!
I can tell you what the house on the right is for - the senior missionaries live there.
I have a really nice memory attached to this site. When I was a freshman in college at Middlebury, me and 3 other members drove out there to see the Christmas decorations. They are gorgeous, by the way, if you ever get the chance to go up there just before Christmas. We arrived after the visitors center had closed, but the missionary couple saw us walking around and the husband gave us a private tour of the visitors center. Then he took us over to their home, where his wife had made us hot chocolate and homemade donuts! We sat in their cozy house, enjoying our treats and watching the Bob Hope Christmas Special with them. So fun!
Wow, very breath taking! Isn't it weird yet amazingly beautiful a lot of the church sites are? Hopefully we'll have the chance to go see it soon.
I'm so glad others have had special experiences there too! I'm so glad we got to go, and I hope everybody gets a chance to!
Post a Comment