Thursday, October 15, 2009

::literature & life::

20091015-IMG_9150
If you ever read the books about Ramona when you were little, you might remember that when Ramona went to Kindergarten she met a little boy named Davy. She decided she loved Davy, and every time they were in the school yard she would chase him around and try to kiss him.

That was all I could think of today when I was waiting in the school yard with Max for his teacher to come and call the kids into class. It was cold. All the kids' cheeks and noses were rosy bright.  I couldn't see their breath--but I know that's not far away.
For some reason we haven't been able to figure out there is no playground equipment at the school--just a yard. So all the kids can really do is run around. And run they do.
The girls like to chase the boys and hug them. The boys like to run away. If you get caught in the middle of one of these events it feels like being accidentally caught in a stampede--a miniature one, but a stampede none the less.

Unlike Beverly Cleary's Davy, Max likes to be chased. Today he was hiding behind a tree waiting for the girls to notice him. When they didn't he came out along with another little guy and they yelled, "Hey girls! Hey girls! Hey girls!" Finally the girls came. And the little boys were chased.
And then everyone was happy.
That Mrs. Cleary knows her stuff.

11 comments:

Megan said...

I think that the older kids get the more they are dictated by their generation and the things that kids in their time period do... but 5 year olds are pretty much the same adorable silly chasing children throughout history.

I used to overhear my kindergarteners making the same observations and jokes and playing the same games I did when I was a kid. It's awesome.

And yes, Mrs. Cleary did know her stuff.

Rachel said...

My mother used to read those books to me when I was little. I loved the illustrations. I still do! I loved that Ramona was a pest.

I loved it as a kid and I love it as an adult. Which by the way.....is the sign of a good author!

Amanda D said...

That is so cute!

Kelly said...

That's hilarious! Max is shameless.

I LOVED Ramona books!

K said...

Oddly, Beverly Cleary didn't really like children. She didn't like to do school visits. She had no children. So she's kind of a puzzle. I was thinking about her today as I contemplate the possibility of writing a series like hers. But I had children - so I'm not sure I will know my stuff the same way she did.

I think Max shouldn't have to yell. He's that cute.

PMC said...

very fun! loved reading this post :)

Rachel said...

That is so funny! I can totally see Max doing that. What an awesome kid. :) (And some pretty awesome parents too!)

Melissa Abby said...

They seriously have no playground equipment? Oh Rhode Island! Max is so cute :)

Kristen Wilde said...

There are several schools around here too with no playground equipment, or very little. It is quite odd.

Leslie said...

We played boys chase the girls in North Dakota. Girls chase the boys didn't work. The boys wouldn't run. We had swings, a teeter, totter and a merry-go-round. If we stood still the aides came up and told us to MOVE. You see, it was so cold in Minot. At a certain point, we stayed inside, but I only remember a handful of days. Since we wore dresses back then, we also wore skin-colored tights, bobby socks over the tights (since bobby socks were the style) and then ski pants with our dresses tucked in, then boots. THEN the jackets with the idiot strings attached to the gloves. Then the scratchy knitted face masks and the hats.

{Erica} said...

I HAD to comment on this post. Ella and Bret have been reading the Ramona series (they are on Ramona Quimby, Age 8) and Ella loves it. Well Sunday we had some friends over and Ella was chasing their little boy trying to kiss them. I asked where she learned that and she told me Ramona taught her :)

Up next after Ramona...Mouse and the Motorcyle.