Tuesday, February 24, 2015

::sickies::

One night in the middle of the night by little one woke up sick.  Coughing and hacking the night away.  She kept on coughing for the next couple of days, so close to the end of the week I took her to the doctor to see if there was anything we could do, just in case things got worse over the weekend.

Untitled

Here we are in the waiting room.
Of course there was nothing they could do, and she didn't have a fever or really even seem sick, so we were sent on our way with fingers crossed that the weekend would go fine.  She wasn't sleeping at night because she couldn't breathe, but that's nothing new.  And of course she's teething so that didn't help at all.

I was especially hoping the weekend would go well because Kris was going to Colorado with the Santa Fe Dental Society for their annual trip.  And seems like everything always goes wrong when Dad is gone overnight.  And since I hate this particular event I figured things would definitely go funky.

Untitled

And they did!  I had Max's friends come over for a sleepover.  They were out playing in the house, I was in my bedroom.  Sandy came in telling me that his tummy hurt.  He actually says that a lot in life, and usually just has to be reminded to go to the bathroom.  I tried that this time, but before he could make it to the bathroom he had ralfed up all over my bedroom carpet.  And my bathroom floor. And my feet and socks and jeans.  And himself.

Untitled

So I quickly quarantined Sandy, called Max's friends' mom and settled in for a long night.  And it was.  Sandy threw up a zillion times, trying so hard to get to the toilet like I asked him to.  Sometimes he made it, sometimes the carpet got hit.  It was a valiant effort on his part.

And Lucy.  She would NOT sleep.  At all.  I got Sandy to sleep, and then I put Lucy to bed.  I was hoping to eat my dinner and as soon as I got it warmed up Lucy was up crying.  Then Sandy had to puke.  I had to put Lucy on the floor so I could help Sandy and she was SCREAMING.  It was rather tortuous.  The whole night was tortuous.  Kids took turns waking up whenever they could.  I was exhausted in the morning.

Untitled

She slept, as long as she was totally pushing me off the bed and snorting in my face.

Untitled

Anyway, Sandy was doing mych better the next day, thank goodness and Lucy was refreshed after using all my sleep for herself.  This was Friday night.  We survived Saturday and Sat night was a little better.  Then Kris got home Sunday.

Friday night was totally one of those testing nights as a parent.  I don't know if I got an A, but I at least passed.  Everybody survived.  Phew.

2 comments:

K said...

These small Rocky Ridge experiences just prove to you that you have to keep putting one foot in front of another because there is simply no alternative. You either go through it, or you give up - and you can't when you love someone the way you love your children. So you do it - stupidly, stolidly, you just do it, and then fifteen minutes later you do it again. I remember these times - Guy gone, and Cammon's head split open or someone throwing up against the wall in the top bunk -

I think I do give you an A for this. Even if you cried at any point. I think you deserve an A for love and faithfulness. And the fact that you all lived? impressive.

Unknown said...

Very well said Kristen. I 2nd all of it. I wish I was so clever with words. I give you an A too. Being a Mom is tough work some days and especially nights with no sleep. You are a trooper. Love the sleeping Lucy pose.