Monday, October 20, 2014

::swim meet saturday::

Untitled

On Saturday Kris was gone out of town for a biking trip to Moab--having lots of fun which was great.    Max had a swim meet down in Albuquerque for his team.  I didn't want to skip this one because we had only been to one before this and a lot of the other meets were out of town, quite a bit further away.  I thought it would probably be good just to make this one happen.

Anyway I had to get everybody up and in the car pretty early--early enough that it was still dark as we pulled out of the garage.  But of course we were still a little bit later than we were supposed to be. Construction, traffic, getting crazy little people out of the door.

When we got there Max went to warm up and I had to find a seat in the bleachers--much easier said than done.  But we finally wedged ourselves in amoung people's stuff and claimed a spot.  Max was so nervous about his events that he was stalking along the side of the pool wiggling his loose tooth.  Wiggling and wiggling and wiggling until suddenly it popped right out.  He came up to me and handed me his tooth with water and blood all dripping down his chin.  It was weird.



It was good though because it was a distraction for him and he was pretty excited that it finally came out!



Untitled

We were lucky enough to inadvertantly choose a seat right next to a family of our patients.  I didn't recognize them but the mom recognized Max.  Their little boy played with Sandy the whole time which saved my bacon because we were there for about 5 hours.  We got there at 8AM and didn't get to leave until right about 1PM.  Lucy napped twice.  Sandy got hungry 45 times.

Untitled

So I did a really good job getting everybody there and bringing a few snacks and entertainment, BUT I forgot to bring towels.  That was a little inconvenient to say the least.  One of the other moms, much more experienced and on top of things than me lent me her extra, so that saved us from sitting in a puddle the entire time.

Untitled

Max did great.  See him in the bright blue NAC cap?  He was very nervous about a lot of things but I thought he did really well.  He wasn't super fast, but he was steady.  He did a 50 meter breast stroke, a 50 meter freestyle and an 100 meter free.  On the two 50 meter races he wasn't last.  Which is awesome considering it's been a lot of work for him to get faster.  On the 100 he was last but he stayed strong the whole time and didn't quit.

Untitled

I couldn't have been more proud of him, honestly.

The rest of the day we spent driving around Albuquerque trying to track down the new series of Lego minifigures.  We got home at about 5PM.  It was a long day and exhausting but I was glad we invested the time in Max and went to cheer him along.  He's growing into a big brave special boy and we love him.

1 comment:

GRampa Guy said...

Way to go being a great mom, and kudos for Max on his swimming. Meets are intimidating, but it's good experience.