Tuesday, June 15, 2010

::interest/fascination/obsession::

A while back Max ran across a show called the Zula Patrol on Boston's PBS channel. It's a (poorly in my opinion) computer animated kids show that has a lot of silly stuff that happens, but also communicates a lot of solid info about space and more especially the solar system.

Max fell in love with the solar system. Suddenly he knew the names of all the planets, and the names of lots of moons. He knew the order of the planets and which was hottest, which was farthest from the sun. And some of the time he knew the WHY behind this stuff too. I was impressed.

We got some books from the library and read up even more.

And then some more books.

He's not interested in space ships that much. Not really interested in aliens or astronauts or black holes. Just the solar system. And I think it's both adorable and very fun.

The other day we were out to eat and here's what he created (with Kris) on the placemat.
20100509-20100509-IMG_1117
Earth and an astonaut.
20100509-20100509-IMG_1119
I'm pretty sure the planet and the rocket on the left are Kris's, but the right hand rocket is little Max's.
20100509-20100509-IMG_1118
Saturn, by Max.

Once again I think PBS is great. I wouldn't even know he was interested in this stuff if it wasn't for them. Way to go PBS!

5 comments:

K said...

Of course, I remember the solar system a certain young girl put up in my house. I think all of the planets have fallen now, but it's been almost 30 years. NO. I'm wrong. I just walked over to that part of the ceiling and one planet is left. I suspect that it's Jupiter. Pluto used to be up there too, still, the last two planets in a line that extended across the edge of the den ceiling all the way across the kitchen. But Pluto seems to be gone, which only reflects the fickleness of life and science.

One planet still up. The young girl still full of curiosity. And evidently, passing it right along.

kris said...

I like how my drawings could easily be mistaken for Max's. Considering his artistic stock, his drawings are excellent.

Rachel said...

We love PBS here! Way to go Max on learning the solar system and Kris, if you've ever seen any of my drawing.....yours next to mine would be a master piece. I make stick figures look bad.

If my boys were to draw a solar system it would be chalf full of bad guys, guns, fire, shooting, weaponry........aaaah. They start out so young and innocent with PBS and then Disney corrupts them!!! :D

Katie Gee said...

Oh PBS...what would I do without you..

Amanda D said...

I haven't heard of this show so I'll have to check into it. My oldest is really into space right now since they just did a space unit. Thanks for the tip!