Wednesday, June 30, 2010

::monstrous move day 3::

We started out early. Really early. Sultan got us up before 6. Or maybe it was me needing a bathroom visit? I don't know, anyway, we were up and at 'em.
It was already steamy outside. I took a couple of pictures of Max while Kris was filling up the car before we got going and the lens kept steaming up. Even after I cleaned it off.
20100629-20100629-IMG_1519
See how steamy? We were glad to get going and have the car AC blowing on us.
20100629-20100629-IMG_1521
Here's Max holding the compass that we got for him--I got him a cruddy dollar one for our last NM trip that ended up falling apart. He was totally fascinated by it though, and checked it constantly. He hasn't been quite as addicted to this one, but at least it's been a good distraction.
In that picture you can see his CTR ring on his finger too--we thought it was lost long ago, but we found it in the car, much to his delight.

We went from the western part of Tennessee to Arkansas. Did you know that part of Memphis is in Arkansas? I had no idea!
20100629-20100629-IMG_1529
Anybody know why Arkansas can count itself more "natural" than any of the others of us?

We had to cross the Mississippi river--it was the state line between TN and AR I think. It was very imposing.
20100629-20100629-IMG_1530
I don't think that this picture gives you a good feel at all, but oh well. The Mississippi river is fun to see at any time.

Here's Kris talking to his mom on the phone:20100629-20100629-IMG_1535
Thank goodness for cell phones so we could chat with family and check facebook. How else would I know that we now have a new niece??

We took a pause at a rest stop in Arkansas that was just gorgeous. It was like somebody's own personal garden, beautiful flowers everywhere. I was so impressed I took a picture of it while Kris and Max were on their way up to the facilities.
20100629-20100629-IMG_1536
This was just after I startled (badly I think) a carful of Asian tourists by accidentally leaning on the horn. Whoops.

In Arkansas we also stopped for lunch, specially, at one of our favorite sandwich places, Jimmy Johns. Mmmm, that place is delicious. We prefer it over McD's so much that we stopped shortly after 10AM for lunch, just so that we could eat there.
(It doesn't hurt that we were all on Eastern time still really, none of this silly Central time nonsense.)
20100629-20100629-IMG_1537
Kris and I usually split one of the big wheat bread sandwiches and come away full. Man those things are good.

20100629-20100629-IMG_1541
Then we went on into good old Oklahoma. Lots of fields, lots of farm machinery. Lots of nice people wearing cowboy hats.
We pulled up at the hotel we had reserved in Oklahoma City right at the deadline for cancellation. We took one look at the location and the state of the hotel and realized this was definitely NOT the place for us. I quickly and luckily got the reservation cancelled and we left that place to enjoy itself.

We headed up north of OK City to our #1 favorite Midwestern sandwich shop--PLANET SUB!!
20100629-IMG_0526
Yes, when we were planning our trip we checked the P Sub website to see if we could hit a location on our way. And this one was the only possibility.
And boy we were glad to eat there. It's just so delicious. Good thing we're not near one or we'd go back to eating there at least once a week (sometimes a lot more times) and that's just not good for the waistline.

We all worn out by the time dinner was over.
20100629-IMG_0527
We found a local hotel and committed to it. It was fine besides the fact that the AC didn't really work and we boiled, and there were construction workers in the walkway outside our door smoking all evening, so it stank. ICK.
But oh well. Max & Kris swam. We slept. That's all that really matters.

1 comment:

K said...

You know, reading this, I'm definitely getting that sort of metallic feeling of long car travel. If I didn't know that you'd gotten there today, I think I'd be feeling a whole lotta sympathetic weariness over this. But envy too. I want Jimmy Johns.

I love compasses.