We parked by one of the oldest lighthouses in the US. Now I can't remember of course--maybe it was the 3rd oldest? Anyway it was cool. And I got a picture of it just as the light flashed at us. Can you see it?

Max spent some time jumping off rocks. That was fine with me because it kept him away from the edge of the land, at least momentarily.

He is such a boy.

And then of course he went over to the edge. Think it was just to bug me? Take a look at the expression on his face.

Stinker.
So as you can see there's the edge of the land and then there's the ocean. In between there were a whole bunch of rocks on a slope. And it was cold and icy. So of course we went down there. Well, the boys went down there first.


It was really pretty.


Some of the rocks were pretty icy. Max did a pretty good job, but he definitely needed some assistance.

Wow, in that picture the ocean almost looks like ice itself. It was so grey.

I wasn't really planning on going down there, but once they got down to the bottom they started calling me. And although neither Grant nor I wanted to go, we did.


I watched my feet very carefully so I wouldn't end up in the ocean.

It was already cold enough. Falling in the ocean really would've bummed me out.
There were some pretty amazing icicles down there. It looked like there were all these little streams flowing down to the water and then suddenly it got super cold and they all just froze.

Kris says that's not what happened though. But it looks like it to me. It was really beautiful.
Melissa took a picture of Kris and I. While we were posing, Max did his best to break through some ice and fall in the water. Chad somehow kept him upright with the hand that wasn't holding Grant. Impressive daddy skills there.

But right after that Max finally succeeded in cracking some ice. (Melissa captured this moment)

See the ice cracking under his feet? Kris's arms are reaching out to grab him....but he did end up dunking both hands in the freezing water. And he got the bottoms of his jeans pretty wet Brrr. And somehow he still cried when we said it was time to go up and leave. I think kids must be made of teflon.
And so then we went home. It was a fun freezing adventure. I think we're going to go back when it's not quite so cold.



6 comments:
Yeah, and think if you were that cold standing in the middle of the Hudson, balancing on a rocking wing up to your ankles in that water. Holy Cats. Jumping off of rocks. Sounds just like his father. I'm keeping my eyes closed till they are all grown up - both of them.
Grant and your header are both beautiful as usual. Nice that your photography reflects the beauty of your soul.
Oh max...he definitely is a stinker! These pictures make me cold just looking at them.
I think you all are brave and adventurous to be out and about it such cold weather .
The photos are great, as usual, and I enjoy the captions
Love you
Dad
That's a great picture of you and Kris. You make a great couple. It looks like fun {and it looks cold!}
I love light houses. We visited one up in Wisconsin that housed a rather large family of boys and it was tiny! I couldn't believe how many children slept in one tiny bed upstairs. Talk about tight sleeping quarters.
Can you imagine? What if one of you had really bad gas or the flu and you were stuck with six bodies in a bed smaller than a double?
Max has got some Calvin blood - look at that face! And that jump! haha
I love it.
Great pics+stories. :)
Post a Comment