Thursday, January 24, 2008

::Props to Kari::

We're going a little stir-crazy here in our house because of all the cold weather. And when Max gets stir crazy he tries to think of everything he can possibly do that's against the rules, or that would make me mad.
It's not a good thing.
So I've been trying to come up with good activities and interesting things for us to do, inside, in the afternoons. Because of course, who wants to play with billions of cool toys? What's the point of even buying toys? Sometimes I wonder.
So anyway, Kari (Kris's sister) made us this great family concentration game last Christmas, and I almost forgot that we had it because a lot of stuff got put away in our move last spring and has never been pulled out. But I found it the other day and Max was really excited to play it.
20080110-IMG_3111.JPG
Kari's got pictures of every member of our immediate family (including Sultan) on these cards, and on the back it says "Max's family matching game." He was especially excited that the cards had his name on them, since he recognizes his written name nowadays.
20080110-IMG_3103.JPG
I just love the whole concept of this game. Since we live so far away from most of the family it's really good to review everybody's names. That's not a problem for him right now, he pretty much remembers everybody just fine, but last Christmas he didn't, so it was great to get to talk about everybody.
20080110-IMG_3110.JPG
So thanks to Kari for having the great idea to make this game, and for taking the time to make sure everybody on both sides of the family is on it.
We'll be spending some frigid hours playing it waiting for spring to come. Anybody want to come and play it with us?
20080110-IMG_3108.JPG

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea,
way to go Kari
It looks like it will be fun to play


Guy

K said...

This is wonderful. How did Kari get pictures of all of us? I am almost in tears that she would remember us, too and go to all that work. What a great girl. We used to love concentration games, remember? You guys would draw the cards, and we'd play with them. It's been so long since then, I'm really amazed. And a little melancholy tonight. Kisses to Kari - and loves to you.

Kari said...

Oh I'm so glad that he likes it!!! Aarons aunt made a fun family bingo game for thanksgiving that has pictures of everyone to put on the bingo card. Its just a blank card and you can switch the pics around each round :) This reminds me how gun it was and that we should get it out and play again :)

Murphy said...

Oh that is so great! Kari! what a fantastic idea! Thanks for going to all fo that effort! (BTW, I like my pic. Haha)
How's about this haircut we've been hearing about?

{Erica} said...

great idea....we've got one of those, only it's a book that we flip trhough at church...but that game is awesome...going to have to copy that for sure!

Lorena said...

Wow that is a great idea, and lot's of work for her, those are the best gifts. I had a friend in AZ who had lots of inexpencive things she did with her kids. She cut up all the larger food boxes, soda crackers, cereal, and such and let her kids paint pictures. They were stiff and easier for the kids to work with. Also homemade play dough with cookie cutters and such. Then she had her activities rated by time painting would keep the kids busy for 30 mintues, and the play dough would keep them busy for an hour. My kids loved to go over and play there.

Annie said...

What a fun game! I've got to find out how she made that!