Friday, May 27, 2011

::pink-eye::

Oh ick. Ick ick pink eye.
I don't think it's fair to get things like this as an adult. It's so frustrating and embarrassing as well. And unfortunately, just because mom is sick doesn't mean the world stops spinning. In fact often it seems that it spins faster.
Anyway, Kris got sick last week after he did an insane 12 hour bike race. I think he just wore himself out completely and then was very ready to get sick. He got a bad cold then what ended up being pink-eye, though I just thought it was part of his cold. We had to go to Phoenix for the weekend for work. We were supposed to go swimming with some friends on monday morning (we were leaving for home monday at noon.) When the baby woke up I noticed his eye was all crusty and then I knew it was the beginning of the end.

The next morning I got it and then the morning after that Max got it.
Max missed his field day at school and the last three days of the year. He didn't mind it too much of course, but I got pretty tired trying to entertain everybody.
I loved having eyes that looked like they belonged to an elephant. Plus, to make it even worse I obviously couldn't wear my contact lenses, and unfortunately my only pair of glasses got melted on a space heater at some point. They won't stay on my face very well and they make me feel claustrophobic and terrible. They're also a little outdated so everything's just a bit blurry.
So, all complaining aside, it was a pretty bad week.

See that sad weepy swollen eye?

Max the lightest case of anybody--plus his eyes are so huge that you could hardly tell they were swollen at all.

The boys did get to spend some quality time together this week though and that was nice.


But don't even get me started on the torture it is to give these boys burning eyedrops. So sad and awful and frustrating.
The things I learned this week?
1. Avoid pink-eye like the plague.
2. Get some glasses that work.
I think I'm going to go look for some tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

K said...

I started treating conjunctivitis all by myself. The doctor would scream, but the second I see anything like it I do one of two things - I put colloidal silver drops in the eye, or a tiny bit of triple antibiotic, and that usually stops it in its tracks. I liked the old drops that Dr. Barlow used to give us. But now they use something else. Ah - motherhood.

Rachel said...

This is going to sound WAY out there but I promise, it works and fast too. Breast milk. Squirt some in their eyes. I know, try not to think about it or you'll go and barf but I promise, it is the best cure I know for pink eye.