Tuesday, March 09, 2010

::collaboration::

When I was in Utah I bought a knitting book that I'd been wanting. It's full of adorable patterns for toys and I couldn't resist it. But I didn't (and still essentially don't) know how to knit. So I assigned my mom to teach me how to make one of the toys. Which turned out to be a tougher assignment than I thought. Anyway, she started working on one of them, and finished it just before we left. It turned out super cute.
20100309-IMG_0704
It's an adorable puppy. BUT there's a problem. It's a sleeping puppy, and it's supposed to have a little blanket to be wrapped up in. She didn't have time to make the blanket, so I took on the challenge when I got home. Which is a big deal for me since my knitting skills are so very basic.
So here's how her blanket turned out:
20100309-IMG_0703
Yes, it looks kind of like a washcloth. And yes, as usual I picked out a multicolored yarn that made it so I couldn't tell if I was doing the stitches right or not. But it turned out fun. The edges only look good because the pattern had me crochet around them, and I'm good at that!
But I thought the blanket turned out pretty cute too.

But the cutest is when they're together.
20100309-IMG_0700
20100309-IMG_0693
20100309-IMG_0697
20100309-IMG_0695
Needless to say, Max is in love. He walks around shushing us: "The puppy is SLEEPING!!!!"
My mom and I make a good team. Now I just have to figure out how to do the more complicated stuff.

7 comments:

K said...

It's a Jackie Puppy Burrito!! That blanket is SO FLIPPING CUTE!! And the puppy looks so sweet, all wrapped up. I think that Jackie would have bee easier to make if we'd known the circular needle, magic loop thing. Because the egg I made was WAY easier than the basic four needle set up I had to use. I am deeply gratified that you finished the blanket, and crocheted the edges, and that Max loves it all. I love it all, too - and all the humans who share that house.

Grampa Guy said...

The blanket is lovely, as is your description of the process, people, and also your photos

love you

Dad

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! I just absolutely love this! I love that you and your mom did this together, I love the puppy, I love the blanket and that you've joined us in the knitting craziness, and I love the blanket!! How absolutely adorable that it wraps and buttons up! Oh I'd buy this!!! Is there anything you and your mom can't do????? Honestly! You continue to amaze me and I love that too! Love love love!

Kristen Wilde said...

SO cute! Now I need to learn to crochet so my edges can look that nice.

Kathy said...

What a sweet blanket. You did GREAT! Especially for your first project. It looked like an experienced knitter. Soo cute i can see why Max is in love with it. The puppy is so loveable too. Good Job Kristin! You guys do make a good team. Keep at it Ginna. You will get it down before you know it.

Rachel said...

P.S. I have that book too! I haven't made anything yet out of it because I'm too busy making socks and sweaters but seeing this makes me want to get it out and make some fun toys!

Amanda D said...

It's so seriously adorable. Way to go, Ginna!