Wednesday, January 13, 2010

::more little projects::

I had a couple of things I was working on for christmas that I had to keep secret, but now I can show them to you!
First is the project that got me crocheting in the first place.
My younger sister Charlotte loves cuttlefish.
Have you ever seen a cuttlefish?
I'm not sure if I had or not before we went to Disney World this year. Anyway, we ran across a whole tank of cuttlefish and Charlotte declared her undying love. So I knew I needed to give her one for Christmas. Then I found a really cool crochet pattern for a cuttlefish on etsy. And I knew I had to try it. So after a lot of practicing and a lot of messes I finally created a cuttlefish!!
20091115-20091115-IMG_9639
20091115-20091115-IMG_9638
20091115-20091115-IMG_9641
I think he turned out really cute. I'm guessing I could make an even better one now with all my practice, but I think he turned out wonderful.
Maybe I'll try my hand at creating a sibling cuttlefish for him one of these days, maybe.
Thanks for inspiring me to start making stuff Char!

I made a little alligator for a friend's one year old a couple of weeks ago. He turned out pretty cute too.
20100103-IMG_0058
20100103-IMG_0057
It's fun to be able to make gifts that kids actually seem to like. And it's a good thing I have people to give these little guys to, or the house would be overrun.

Lastly here's a bird that I made in december. My mom has a traditional ornament exchange party every year, and I was thinking it would be fun to participate from afar this year. So I made this bird and sent him across the country.
20091130-20091130-IMG_9797
20091130-20091130-IMG_9799
Now I just need to make one for myself! At least I have the picture in case my own version never gets made.

So there are a few fun projects for you. It feels good to make stuff right now. It's so nice to have something to do with my hands that feels so productive so quickly.

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Those are so cute!! I especially love the cuttlefish (which I always want to spell "cuddlefish"). I want to learn to make cute animals like this!

Tiffany said...

Cute Ginna! Wish we lived closer so you could teach me.

Rachel said...

Your stuff is adorable Gin. You should be very pleased with these things you are making. You do a wonderful job and just so SO SOOOO dang cute!

K said...

I think you are A-MAZING!! And I want one of each - except the cuttle fish which looks too complex to just knock out for your mom. But a hippo, now - I wish I'd stop trying to figure out a horse pattern, and just try some other things. I need more success and less experimentation. How funny that we both started this business at the same time, and yet independently!!

Megan said...

You are AMAZING!!! My parents told me that your bird was darling at the ornament party. And lo and behold it is!

Grampa Guy said...

I love them all

Dad

Sparklebot said...

Very cute. I can do anything rectangular pretty well! But, you have mastered all the other shapes!

Carly said...

SO CUTE! I love them!

Katie Gee said...

I know I've said this before and I truly, truly, mean it....you are so talented! I love the cuttlefish. It's so wonderful! Well, I really do love them all.

Jenilyn Collings said...

Those are so cute! The cuttlefish is amazing.