
This is what I did with those cute snowflakes.
My original idea was to hang them from the ceiling of the kitchen. But I needed tons and tons to do that, because I would've wanted them thick. And the ceiling in our house is a bit low, so I was afraid Kris would be banging his head on them all the time.
And there was this perfect overhang at the window that was just begging for some fun.

So there they hang. Those two you see that look yellow aren't really that yellow. They're just kind of off white. When I realized how they looked compared to the other yarns I didn't make any more of those.

I think they're really fun. They make the winter seem just a little more festive. And you can't really tell, but most of them are made with yarn that has a little bit of a sparkle to it.
I like their silhouettes:

I got the pattern from here. They look really hard and complicated, but they're really very simple. And they're fast too, once you make one or two. I cranked out like 8 the other night when we were watching a (dumb) movie. And it's easy to improvise with them too. I came up with two other patterns based on the original that I really liked.
So try them. It's fun!!
In other news Kris has been tying a lot of fly fishing flies. He's getting good at it. He's working on flies for salt water fishies.

They're a lot bigger than the freshwater ones I'm used to seeing.
ALSO, Kris fixed my stained glass lamp. You can see it in a couple of the pictures in the beginning of this post. We got it for our wedding from some wonderful friends and I love it. One of our last moves did it in though. The post was totally broken. It wasn't of the highest quality to begin with, and four moves in four years was just too much. Anyway, Kris attempted to fix it a while back and it turned out badly--gorilla glue + fingers = bad news. But the other day he had an epiphany and fixed the dang thing with a dowel. I'm so happy to have it back! We need it out here in the winter. It's so dark and gloomy almost all of the time.
Anyway, I know my husband loves me when he solves a nearly unsolvable problem for me and doesn't give up on it.
That could light up anybody's january.



7 comments:
Those look so cute in your window. What a great January idea. I love it. Good job to Kris for fixing the lamp.
MY husband is still working on several unsolvable problems - like how to make the internet work again - and we're making a little headway. I love these shots of your home and the things you've been making, and I really love the shot of the fly. You're good with January. Why don't you come live with us??
Lovely snowflakes
and way to go Kris with the saltwater streamer. Looks like a great striped bass fly
keep it up
G
you are a talented girl. very talented girl.
Finding ways to brighten a dreary January house are hard. But, I do think these are lovely in your window. And, I agree that they'd make great Christmas ornaments, maybe made in various colors.
Beautiful! My mom has a bunch of those as Christmas ornaments, and I've always liked them. I'll have to try my hand (and hook) at making some too! Thanks!
Did that make me sound like a pirate?
Post a Comment