Monday, July 28, 2008

::He made it!::

20080725-IMG_5903.JPG
We have a dog!
For anybody that doesn't already know, Sultan has been staying with my parents since we moved, in early May.
He flew in at the end of last week. Luckily Kris was able to leave work for an hour or so to help me get him. The kennel was heavy (and HUGE) and Sul was very anxious to get out of the airport. And by that I mean he totally dragged me out by the arm. So I don't think I could've done it without Kris.

Sultan didn't forget to bring his tongue with him.
20080725-IMG_5901.JPG
Isn't he cute?
But I bet you didn't know that I have TWO dogs.
One's named Sultan, and the other one is named Sultan.
20080725-20080725-IMG_5909-2.jpg
They both bark, and they both walk on all fours. It's just that Sultan number two has a little higher bark than Sultan number one. And it's nastier feeling when he licks you somehow.
20080725-20080725-IMG_5911-2.jpg
This one thinks he's pretty funny.

20080725-20080725-IMG_5915-2.jpg
Sultan didn't know we got another dog while he was gone. He was interested for a while--long enough to get inspired to stick his tongue out too.
20080725-20080725-IMG_5916-2.jpg

The real Sultan was pretty dirty and smelly when he got to us. I think he was a little stressed out in the plane--maybe all dogs do this, but when Sultan gets stressed he gets a little smelly. Kind of doggy musky smelling. Anyway, he was due for a wash.

So I had the official dog washer and his lovely assistant do it.
20080725-IMG_5932.JPG
Max made sure and sprayed everyone liberally. I'm sure Sultan appreciated it.
20080725-IMG_5938.JPG
Doesn't he look like he's having fun?
20080725-IMG_5939.JPG
Poor guy! He's really patient and good.
20080725-IMG_5941.JPG

20080725-IMG_5942.JPG
And he's cute when he's wet. The dog washer isn't so bad himself!

It took Sultan a couple of days to recover from his trip, but he seems to be ok and normalized now. He's eating food, so that's a good sign. He seems to like our place, and enjoys sitting by the door watching stuff happen. He's also enjoyed going out for jogs with Kris and I. There are a lot of different smells for him to explore out here.
We're glad to have him home.
20080725-IMG_5912-2.jpg
We love Sultan!

10 comments:

Vhari said...

I love your dog. You are so good to him too. He's lucky to be back with you. How do you and Kris go on a jog? Who watches Max? It just sounds really good to me. Mostly the getting out part.

Kathy said...

Somehow you make Sultan look so adorable. I know he is a great dog but you make him look even better.

I'm glad you are all back together again and he is nice and clean for you.

I really like Sultan #2 also. He is really adorable and so good at pretending I was almost fooled.

Rachel said...

I love the tongue! ;o)

There seems to be a mishap or mistake though......I could have sworn I put MY address on his crate when your dad took him to the airport. I'm gonna sue the airlines for messing things up AGAIN. They are always sending luggage to the wrong places....

carie said...

Give that dog some water already! just kidding :)

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed having him as a long term guest. He didn't much like getting in the crate and getting left at the airport. The hardest thing for us (and him) was that we couldn't just tell him (in a way he would understand) that his family would be waiting for him on the other end.
Whenever I did anything with the hose in the yard, he would make sure that he was as far away as he could get, so he didn't get much washing while he was here.
He looks like he's having a blast

Sparklebot said...

poor thing. It must be awful to be in a kennel for so long.

K said...

I'm not so sure that I'd say that Sultan is lucky to be back with you, as if somehow he had been in some awful situation with us. It was really hard to walk away from him at that airport. When we got to the place, we had to pound on the door for about fifteen minutes before the dude (who was in the restroom) finally bothered to show up at the desk. Then I said, "Will this airline treat him well?" And the guy shrugged and said, "I don't know. I don't have anything to do with them."

My gosh. And I was supposed to leave him there?

I looked at him and said, "I'm not sure I'm all that comfortable with this situation. No one is here when we come; you don't have any responsibility for what happens to him after -"

But the guy warmed up, and his help showed up and was obviously good with animals and loved them. I still couldn't say anything for about twenty minutes after we left.

Sully was deeply loved here. Watched over constantly. Petted and crooned over and allowed to sleep in our shower every night - which really scared me the first time he ever did it. He chased around with the guys, terrified the neighborhood adults and delighted the children. The old dogs obviously think of him as one of the family.

M leaves for South America tomorrow. I am sick of leavings. Sultan is the best dog. The most beautiful, sweet natured dog. It has left a real hole in our lives, his going. But I'm glad he got a bath, and that he's got a puppy, and that you love him. I couldn't bear it otherwise.

Kari said...

Yeah! I'm glad you got him back, but its too bad your mom is so sad about him leaving. But nice to know he has another home who loves him so much in case he ever has to leave again. Sorry I'm so behind on commenting, I've been reading all your posts, that beach looked gross!! But its a beach and that makes it fun regardless. I'm envious of all your fun trips to the beach. And I so glad that you hve some fun people to hang out with while Kris is so busy.

Ginna said...

In response...
Vhari--no we don't get to jog together, I guess I made that sound way too nice! I have to get up at 6AM to go before Kris leaves for work, and then he does it after work, usually at like 8PM. It's still good though.


I neglected to say enough about my parents taking care of Sultan. He had a wonderful time there. He feels SO at home. When Kris dropped him off before the move he was so thrilled to be there, he wasn't even bothered to be left behind.
And we didn't worry about him one time during all the moving and traveling and everything. He's so well taken care of and so at home it's wonderful.
And I had a hard time taking him back really. I knew it was going to break some hearts. But I love him. And I want Max to have a dog to grow up with. But if we'd left him in Utah he would've been super happy too.
Lucky dog to have two homes to live in where everyone loves him!
Thanks for taking care of him my family and loving him, and thanks for sending him back!!!!

Derek and Ang said...

You weren't kidding about the long hair! You could collect it and make a whole line of winter clothing out of it =) I can't wait to meet him.