Sunday, July 13, 2008

::NYC week 2 day 3::

I finally decided I would take Max to the childrens museum of Manhattan. It's way up by central park which is a pretty long ways away on the subway, with about 3 train changes along the way. But I had looked at the website and it looked like he would love it, so we got up and went for it.

There were a lot of moms and kids there, in fact we had to wait outside in a line for about 10 minutes just to get in. But once we got in it was fine and really not too crowded.

Max was super excited because they had a special Dora the Explorer exhibit. For some reason he's kind of obsessed with Dora right now, so we went to see her first. The exhibit wasn't that exciting really. I think he was a little bummed. But we did get a picture of him "with" Dora and Boots, which is fun.
20080708-IMG_5520.JPG
Here he is playing some drums at Dora's "fiesta"--which was really just a room with a whole bunch of figures on the wall. Kind of blah. But the drums were fun at least.
20080708-IMG_5523.JPG

After that we went to the like play and learn area, which turned out to be his absolute favorite. They had a lot of different things to do in the room, lots of things to climb on and draw on and twist and turn. His favorite thing though was this big bus that had four different steering wheels so that everybody that sat on the bus got to be a driver.
20080708-IMG_5525.JPG
I have to admit that the bus was pretty cool. It had a rotating destination sign on the side that could say different things--central park, etc. He could've stayed in the bus all day. And probably would've if it wasn't for the fire engine! They had a fire engine that was similar to the bus. It had all sorts of switches and things inside for the kids to play with. They also had a few small fireman outfits in there that the kids could put on. Max really liked to drive it (of course).
20080708-IMG_5527.JPG
Somehow there were no fights about driving these things. I don't know how it happened, but everybody seemed to get along well.
Here he is driving some other crazy vehicle somewhere. It's really all he wants to do.
20080708-IMG_5524.JPG
He's very serious about it.

I finally tore him away from that room and we went to look at the other stuff. The only other exhibit that held our interest was an outdoor water one.
It was out on a balcony off the building (because of course the museum is in kind of an apartment building). They had the kids put on smocks and then they got to play with all sorts of water toys and race rubber ducky. There was a water wheel thing there that Max really liked.
20080708-IMG_5528.JPG

20080708-IMG_5529.JPG
It was hot outside though, so soon we went back in--back to the bus and the fire engine. I let him play there until I was about to die with hunger and/or boredom, whichever came first and then I dragged him away.

All in all we liked the museum but I actually think that the one at the Gateway in SLC is better. It had more cool exhibits that were actually fun. The one here had a lot of exhibits, but several of them were pretty boring.

After that we took it easy and then went to get a burger with Kris when he finally got done with work. Sounds like a kind of easy day, but with all the train travel and the heat I was totally exhausted by the end of it. In a good way.

5 comments:

K said...

It does look a little "some assembly required." But I loved the serious driving picture. And how many people can say they've "done" the Big Apple quite the way you and Max have?

Rachel said...

See????? Proof! Max's Dora DOES exsist.....so stop sitting on her mom........ :o)

carie said...

you have to go to the children's museum in Boston. Better than any one I have ever been too, even Gateway. Oh and friday nights are only like a $1, but super crouded.

Lorena said...

You are such a good mom. Some moms would want to take the effort that you have taken to give Max a fun summer.

Leslie said...

This was Jennifer's favorite museum. We stayed the whole day. We shopped in this neighborhood lots.