Tuesday, February 26, 2008

::Something I Did::

When Kris and I went on our trip to Rhode Island I was feeling really bad about leaving Max for so long--I've never left him for longer than a quick overnight. So I thought a lot to try to come up with something I could do that might make him (and me) feel better.
I'm posting this for two reasons. One is that I'm happy with the way it turned out, I thought it was really neat and two is that I'm thinking maybe somebody else could use this idea sometime. I think it would mean a lot more to a slightly older kid than it did to Max.
First I went and got a little 99 cent photo book from Target and filled it with photos of family--especially pictures of Max with different people. Then I decorated the outside a bit. He really liked this. We went through it together before I left and I told him he could look at it anytime he missed us or felt sad. I don't think he ended up looking at it at all, but it at least made me feel better that he had it if he needed it.
20080207-IMG_3446.JPG

Then I wanted to make something that would help him understand how long we would be gone. I thought about how I did the advents calendar at christmas-time, and how the numbered presents helped him clue into the passing time, so I wanted to do something like that.
We were going to be gone for four nights, so I wrote up four different little notes for him.
20080207-IMG_3451.JPG
I folded those up and numbered them one to four, and then punched holes in the corners and connected them with yarn.
20080207-IMG_3445.JPG
I figured he could start with number four and then open one each day--then he'd have a little something for us and would be able to see how many days were still left.
20080207-IMG_3456.JPG
I thought it turned out great. He actually didn't really care--I think he liked the notes but he was having too much fun playing with our friends' kids and he felt so at home there that he didn't need the reassurance too much I guess.
So I think that this would work great for a kid who was a little older--or something.
It was nice to feel like I made something fun! I haven't gotten to do a lot of that lately.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think those are both great ideas!! I'll have to remember them for when Nate's a little (or a lot!) older! :)

Amanda D said...

Those are great ideas. And I bet that Max appreciated them more than you know. Thanks for sharing!

Lorena said...

That picture book was a great idea.
I should do something like that for Issy, so she can see me every day:-)

Kari said...

Very cute Ginna. I think its a great idea and it's so sweet that you would think of something to do to help him be more comfortable while you were gone. I bet that picture book will be good for church too.

ricky said...

How cute! And all i have been doing lately is burning my grilled cheese.

{Erica} said...

what a cute idea....my parents went on business trips alot and they always had little presents and FHE lessons for us to do with the babysitter...we loved it! :)

K said...

I don't think I ever did anything that cool or clever when you guys were kids. I did make those little animals, but the book and notes - that's really smart. If the kid's too young to know what he's missing, then you'll just have to grow him up!!