Wednesday, December 24, 2014

::christmas eve 2014 pt 2::

IMG_7315

Just a quick glimpse of our "guitar room Christmas tree."  It's decorated with laminated copies of old family photos.

IMG_7321

We found a good parking spot and headed down the road--we got there right around five, just when it was starting to really get dark.  The crowds were light at first.

IMG_1198

IMG_1195

IMG_1197

I can't remember if we brought the stroller for Sandy last year?  Anyway, it's much nicer without a big stroller to navigate through all the crowds.

IMG_7328

I loved these ristras with the red lights.  I think I'm going to have to get some for next year.

IMG_0201.JPG
We didn't lose any kids as we walked up the road and back, though the kids did their best to disappear.  It was a nice walk and the street looked beautiful as usual.  We also saw somebody dressed in a full body reindeer outfit, and Kris and I got to have a kiss under some real mistletoe somebody was carrying down the street.

Afterwards we opened PJs and had hot chocolate while preparing to read the Christmas Story and prep for bedtime.

IMG_7350

Lucy and Sandy were both really tired and barely staying awake, and all the kids were super excited.

It's always fun to read the First Christmas book, and only reading it once a year on Christmas Eve keeps it in good shape and very special.  I was thinking about how lucky it was I found our copy at the used book store when Kris and I were first married!

IMG_0206

Everybody gets a turn with the pop up features.

IMG_7358

We got the little ones to bed and had a few minutes with Max before he retired to TRY and TRY to go to sleep.  The grownups had gotten a lot of things organized and prepped before hand, so we only had a few hours of work left to do, thank goodness.  We left the living room looking magical and fun. Kris hung up sheets on the entrances so there would be no peeking, and dogs were banned from the area.

Everybody slept really well with me just getting up once at 4AM to make sure no dogs were eating Christmas.  All was well.

IMG_7364

Oh, and I'll leave you with this.  Here is Sandy's bough hung thickly with the ornaments that it was his duty to hang.  It's so cute how little guys hang ornaments--Max used to do it just like this.  Now he's telling Sandy, "Maybe you should hang some of those someplace else?"  The clumps used to drive me nuts, now I just see cute littleness in it.

IMG_1206

1 comment:

K said...

I also hang in clumps. Per force. There are no longer enough twigs to hang things on. The room does look magical, and it makes me remember the wonder and excitement I used to feel as a kid. There would be something that would change your life - open up possibilities - something magical. Tough to find things like that for grownups. It's nice you have those big areas. I'm trying to figure out where to put a second tree next year. All my ornaments are memories. I want to see them all. I think the excitement I feel, looking at these images, is because I didn't set that all up myself. And didn't pick out that paper or wrap those boxes. It's all as much a mystery to me as it will be to the children.