
We've only done it once before, but we want it to be a serious family tradition. Every year we go up in our mountains and find ourselves a special Christmas tree.
There was a big snow storm predicted for friday into saturday, and we were really hoping that it wouldn't stop our tree hunt. It was the only possible day to do it in weeks.
So, though it snowed a bit--much less than predicted--we didn't let it stop us!!
It's interesting searching for trees, especially out here in the desert. It's not like there are just a billion perfect ones sitting there for the picking. Especially when one has a car full of little 'uns and has to stay close to the road and the car.
And it's tough because a tree that looks good from the car can look completely different up close.
This is a cute little one, isn't it?

Well, not so little now that we see it in perspective, right?

It wasn't quite what we were looking for, so we pressed onward.
Finally, after some more bumpy snowy driving we spied a good looking one. And when we got out to study it, turned out that there was one behind it a little ways that was perfect! So we went for it.

It's like a puzzle trying to see the tree in all the snowy branches.
It was a little ways down a snowy bank. It was also super tall, and we only needed about the top 10 feet, so we cut it a little higher than usual.
Sandy was so good and patient.

He just hung out in the car and ate pretzels. Then when he ran out he squeaked and screamed until somebody filled his little fists again.

Here are the boys cutting the tree.

Max had the hold the saw for a bit while Kris moved the car--there was other traffic up in the snowy mountains, surprisingly.

Then he got tired and put the saw down, and when he thought nobody was looking he had a little snack.

Hah.
And here's the tree! Huge!!



And then we all hung out while Kris did the tough work of tying the tree up top.

We really like this picture. It gives a good feel for the whole experience.


Then on the way out we searched out a cute little tree for our other room. I got greedy and just couldn't leave without more than one.

When we got this one home it turns out it's a truly lopsided little guy. But fun nonetheless.
And afterwards we got to eat Dairy Queen, since that's really the only place to eat within miles. I guess that's part of the tradition!
And here are a couple of bonus pictures of our Sand, since he was stuck in the car the whole time. He was looking very festive and deserves some attention too!


And today I got the lights on, so more tree reports to follow!
**And I forgot to mention the poor Land Rover. It's truly our adventure car, but the Infiniti had to stand in for it this year since it's totally non-functional. Kris has plans to trade some dental work for repairs in the next year though, so we'll see if the poor thing can be revived. We're thinking of you Land Grover!



5 comments:
They're always SO much bigger than you think. Funny how perspective can just trick you. The whole family was here today, decorating our little tree - we had a huge dinner. It was like Thanksgiving, only with spaghetti. The mountains look cold. Cold doesn't work for me anymore. If I weren't so invested here, I'd go hunting some warm place. Max will remember doing this all his life long. And that jacket on Sand is cute beyond words. I love that we can do this back and forth. we don't feel quite so far away.
Was it the same road as last year? Those trees and snow look familiar
and Sand is cute as usual
and Max is getting sooo big
Love you all
Dad
That is always what happens to us. They look so much smaller out in the woods and then we bring them home and they fill up our house. Literally!
There was one year, funniest thing. I suppose we should have known when the tree was drooping down both sides of the truck that it was a rather wide tree. We brought it in the house and the only place it would fit was in the center of our front room. It touched the wall on one side of the room and spread clear to the wall on the other. It was a glorious tree! We had to take out all but the piano out of the front room as there wasn't any room for anything else!!
And here my stupid fake tree sits this year looking all puny. BAH HUMBUG! (Can you tell what book we're reading right now? :D )
I love this. It feels just like I'm there only I get to stay warm. Sandy looks like he had a great time. The trees look great too. Good job.
I love this. It feels just like I'm there only I get to stay warm. Sandy looks like he had a great time. The trees look great too. Good job.
Post a Comment