Saturday, December 18, 2010

::speaking of::

Speaking of cozy fires, (we were speaking of those at some point, right?) weren't you wondering where we got all that wood to burn??

Well, I hope you were wondering, because I'm going to tell you.
Early this week Kris bet up with a friend from the ward who works for the Forest Service. He's like a genuine mountain man (well, sort of), and he's awesome. He had a permit to cute firewood--which are evidently very affordable--and he took Kris out into the middle of nowhere to find a great big deadwood fallen tree that he had run across at some point. I guess it was crazy getting there--no roads or anything of course.
They chopped it up with Gilbert's chainsaw and axe and then filled the back of the Land Rover with chunks of (extremely aromatic) wood.
20101211-photo
20101211-photo-2
No--that chainsaw doesn't look very safe or secure--we'll assume they moved that after the picture and before driving home, right? They both made it home with heads intact anyway, that's the important part.

Kris was pretty proud of his load of wood.
And rightly so, it's quite impressive.
20101211-IMG_2495
Sultan was less impressed and more distressed--the wood was in his spot. What's a dog to do?
20101211-IMG_2491
The wood smells amazing and it's been really fun to have cozy fires on cold days. And I think the cutting of the wood satisfied a need for adventure in my husband--well a bit of that need anyway. Feeling like a real mountain man is pretty awesome.

4 comments:

K said...

Wish I could smell it. Where did Sully ride? Love the color in the photos. Love you guys, too!

Murphy said...

Yeah right? We don't want Kris to go stir crazy!

Ginna said...

Sultan didn't go on this adventure. He waited at home with me. He was just ready to get in the car as soon as it got home.
The wood smelled kind of like oranges somehow. Mmmmmmmmm.

Rachel said...

I have to say, I LOVE my wood stove...... I have it crackling away right now! On this first day of winter and all of its snow.