Wednesday, November 24, 2010

::lost::

In order to keep this blog from being 100% cute baby pictures, I thought I'd tell you all about a biking adventure that Kris had on saturday.
First important detail--Kris got a new mountain bike and he was so excited. He'd been yearning after this bike for months. He's been riding on the same old entry level mountain bike that I got him before Max was born, and it just wasn't holding up to his level of riding. When we got to NM we met friends that had a bike for sale--of course the perfect size, and a better price than the store.
So we finally were able to buy it after months of working towards it. I surprised Kris with it and he was very happy.
20101112-photo
See? That's definitely his excited face.
So he got the bike late friday night. Then the baby was born on saturday night! Poor Kris was dying to ride his bike. He went for a quick ride on saturday afternoon, but I didn't want him to go far.

So the following saturday morning he planned on heading into the mountains early for an adventure. My mom was leaving to go back home early afternoon, so he had a deadline.

Of course he got lost. Totally lost. He went up the mountain on one trail (272 if you're looking at the map) and then ended up going down on a completely different trail (175). That trail went completely in the wrong direction. By the time he realized he was in the wrong place it was too late. He couldn't get back up the trail easily because it was too steep. So he just had to keep going. He called me right before he lost reception and asked me to try to figure out where he would come out and meet him with the car.

I'm not that great with maps, geography or directions, so I wasn't super excited about that.
20101120-photo
But I tried. I found the road I thought he'd end up on and we packed my mom up and headed out with a car full of kids to go find dad.

He called me as I was driving towards the road and said that the trail had disappeared and that he'd had to hike his bike along a creek for a ways, then through and ranch and he had no idea where he was. That was discouraging news. Then he lost reception. We kept on driving. I thought it was a serious long shot that we would find him, but I had to try.
Then of course, the deeper into the mountain foothills we got, the less phone reception, until we were completely without communication.
We drove up this random dirt road, and after a while there he was! It was kind of miraculous that we found him, and such a relief.

Lucky Kris got to drive all the way to Albuquerque in his spandex. We barely got my mom dropped off in time--by way of Chick'fil'a for lunch, then we drove home exhausted.
So that's the story of Kris lost.

And just so we don't accidentally forget that this blog is 99.99% about cute baby and kid stuff, here's a confused baby with puppy ears.
20101122-IMG_2320
20101122-IMG_2323
Good night!

3 comments:

K said...

Yeah. Dropped your mom off with twenty minutes to run into the airport, stand in line to check the bag - the LONG line - then run up the concourse, looking for security, then GET SCANNED, then run like you know what to find the gate which turned out to be the farthest gate away. The plane was a little late coming in, which is the ONLY reason why I didn't board last of all. FUN. But not half as fun as a baby with bear ears.

Linda said...

Awe, love the baby with puppy ears! He's so stinking cute! And I'm glad you guys found Kris. Crazy that you guys eventually met up after losing communication.

Rachel said...

Better for your mom to arrive a little late. Other wise, she'd sit and stew and worry that the plane would fall to pieces from the sky. Much better for her not to have time to think on those things. :D

Glad you were able to find Kris!