
We had a fun Memorial Day. In the morning we went to little parade in our friends' smallish town. The parade went right past their street which was really fun. There was a really festive feel all around.
But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Really we started the day with a "blue raspberry" icee thing for Max, on the way to the parade. If we'd had any idea the amounts of sugar he was going to enjoy later, we never would've done it. But what's done is done. And his tongue was so grossly blue.


The kids couldn't wait for the parade to actually start. You can see here that they're prepared in case of a candy onslaught--halloween pumpkins and all.

The adults were excited too--though I know Kris's face isn't giving too much away.
Then here came this guy. The guy who somewhere along the way had pilfered a shopping cart from someplace and was using it to sell his piles and mounds of cotton candy.

Then a kind-hearted grandfather hooked the kids up with some. Blue of course. Max went for it. He was so disgusting after a little while. Icky, sticky, and blue.


The best part was when some politician came by shaking everybody's hands. He shook Max's and Henry's both. I imagined he was very very sorry for quite a while.
There were lots of fire engines, a couple of bands, a bagpipe troupe and a couple of floats.
This one's for my mom--an old guy behind a huge Breyer horse. I think he was from a local stable.

Then of course there were lots of Shriners doing lots of different stuff. We always love the little cars.

There were a few real veterans in the parade and we were glad to see them.
I thought this guy was the highlight though--crazy Uncle Sam who somehow was himself and a puppet of himself at the same time.

He was pretty awesome.
Then the parade abruptly ended and there was a big line of normal people in their cars, who had probably been waiting for an hour to get through.
We went home and spent the rest of the day getting stuff done. Except I took a two hour nap. I wish I could do that every day.
I wish every day was a monday off, really.



3 comments:
What a great way to say it----I wish every day was a Monday off. And we were remarking yesterday at our gathering that it makes the rest of the week so short.
I had fun going to the parade with you guys.
Thanks
Love to you all
HA!! The politician!! How funny. And what a fun day. We went to Cam's and met Parry's beau - and two backyards away, Rachel's kids were on somebody's trampoline and I kept seeing Kirsten's head boing-boinging over the fence.
Then it rained today. Again. Kind of sad. But it wasn't cold at least. And we found a table for the craft room, which was a big deal. So YEAH!!
I'd like life to be a little like your day - one delight, planned by someone else = after another, and rest in the middle - calm, balmy and guilt=less. For a change. Just for a little while.
Love you
oh yes! I wish every day was a Monday off with blue cotton candy bought by somebody's grandpa and parades. And then a 2 hour nap. You TOTALLY deserved that. Miss you.
Post a Comment