Sunday, December 20, 2009

::winter wallop::

I just had to laugh when I saw the title that the news channels were giving to our big storm this weekend. "Winter wallop"? Quite the alliteration.
But it was a big storm, and pretty amazing. It started snowing at about 9PM last night, and it just started slow and subtly. By the time we woke up in the morning at about 8AM there was about a two foot drift up against our sliding glass door. There was lots of fast wind last night, so we had some interesting snow distribution.
20091220-IMG_9934
Church was cancelled last night, so we were able to be pleased by the snow instead of bummed because we were going to have to go out in it.
Kris and Max went out to start shoveling.
20091220-IMG_9941
Check out the cars!!
20091220-IMG_9962
20091220-IMG_9965
Check out what was hanging off the roof. It kind of feels like we're living in a canyon or a cave--something that nature has carved over time.
20091220-IMG_9944
And check out the drifts on the neighbors houses. I think they're super interesting looking, especially how the chimney in the house on the left has a blank circle all around it. They really look like frosted gingerbread houses, don't they?
20091220-IMG_9960
Sul didn't like it. I think he liked it at first, but when he realized how deep it was he was not excited anymore. Here's what happened when I called him to come up on the deck so I could take a picture of him (from inside of course).
20091220-IMG_9950
20091220-IMG_9951
20091220-IMG_9952
20091220-IMG_9953
He had to build up extreme velocity just to get over the snow, and that's after Max had already blazed a trail for him.
He was very bummed when I didn't let him in.
20091220-IMG_9955

Kris thought that the snow on the trampoline looked like it was pretty shallow, so I guess he threw Max onto it headfirst. And I guess he disappeared into the depths. Turns out there was tons of snow on the tramp. It just looked shallow because the mat was all bowed low, nearly touching the ground. Good thing Max is a good sport.
20091220-IMG_9972
Since Max was dying to sled, and there was no way the cars were leaving the driveway, Kris set up a little sledding situation on the back deck.
20091220-IMG_9942
He made some steps out of the recycling bins, and some sort of ramp off the side.
20091220-IMG_9978
Recipe for disaster unless dad is holding the sled tight. He survived though, luckily.
20091220-IMG_9980
20091220-IMG_9981
20091220-IMG_9982
Weeeeeeeee.......

Then Max got freezing and came in and poor Kris stayed out for another hour and a half just shoveling shoveling and shoveling. Good thing he's been working out. I think this will count for his workout for the next week.
And Max warmed up.
20091220-IMG_9984
Yay for hot chocolate and snow and cheery mugs and lazy days. And extra yay for warm houses that keep us dry. I like those.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I like cheery warm houses too! I also like daddy's who love their sons so much they play with them in the snow and build them really cool mounds of snow to sled down.

The snow on the cars is funky in that wedge fashion. Wow! That is a lot of snow!

Kathy said...

You have to love the snow when you can sit inside and just look and appreciate the beauty it brings. SO glad you are home and nice and warm and cozy. The sledding is great. What a good Dad. I also love Maxes cute haircut. He looks so handsome.

Tiffany said...

Holy Moly that's a lot of snow.

Teri said...

I love creative sledding.

Kelly said...

Two years ago when there was a huge blizzard and the streets were insanely bad they called it the "December debacle". They love alliteration around here.

K said...

Holy Cats!! Sully looks like a big brown bear in one of those shots, and like the arctic wolf in another. G said, "So much for Sully the sled dog," but I'd hitch that wolf up any day - he looks powerful. And the close up looks like he's blue under all that snow. The overhangs do have a very Moab look to them, don't they? And the houses across the street have an almost ancient look of thatching. This is the snow I remember, actually - the eastern snow. And it lends a charm to a little tract neighborhood, as, I suppose, charity covers a multitude of sins. Max and the hot choc is one of my favorite photos, but the ones of Kris with Max are the dearest.

Amanda D said...

I' sooooo jealous of all that snow. I love snow.