Saturday, November 21, 2009

::three-dee::

All summer every time we went to the store Max would spy out this package of sidewalk chalk that said it was "3D." He wanted it so bad. And I didn't want it bad enough to pay $5 for it. Plus he had a whole bunch of other sidewalk chalk. Non 3D I guess.
I also thought it was a gimmick. I mean, seriously? 3-D sidewalk chalk? So anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was at Target and saw that they had marked the 3d chalk down 50%. Now that's more like it. So I snagged a package and brought it home to Max. Needless to say he was excited and headed out to try it right away.
20091026-20091026-IMG_9462
He was very diligent about following the instructions. You were supposed to use certain colors next to each other.
20091026-20091026-IMG_9459
20091026-20091026-IMG_9454
20091026-20091026-IMG_9452
The package came with these little 3d glasses. I guess the way it works is that certain colors look like they're raised up higher than others when you're wearing the glasses.
20091026-20091026-IMG_9472
And truthfully, it sort of did look 3d through the glasses. I tried to take a picture through the glasses, but I guess since the camera doesn't have two eyes it didn't work. Ah well, that's the breaks.
The best part was, I got out his old chalk and drew some stuff and all that looked just as 3d as the special expensive chalk. Hah.
20091026-20091026-IMG_9455
20091026-20091026-IMG_9461
20091026-20091026-IMG_9467
But despite the over hyped 3d chalk we all had some fun outside together, and that's all that really matters. And plus, I blogged about it. Does it get better than that?

2 comments:

K said...

Yeah - it's all in the merchandizing. And somehow, we feel almost guilty about finding a work around that doesn't come in a fancy package, like we're cheating. Or like you can't make a great sandwich at home. I used to say to my students: if you have a paper due in another class, hand it in for my class. I'll work it over, then you can hand it in to your other class. Nobody ever did it. So there are still ethics built in - or it's just nobody writes a paper until the last minute. Anyway, glad I raised a smart girl who thinks outside of the packaging -

Rachel said...

Darn! I wish taking a picture through the glasses would have worked cuz that would have been cool.....almost as cool as the image of you and Frazz out drawing with sidewalk chalk. Almost...