Saturday, August 22, 2009

Santa Fe

20090807-IMG_8373
(This post is by Kris)
As many of you know, I'm getting toward the end of my formal education--it's only been 10 years--and I'm starting to look for something to do next summer when I finish residency. As part of our search, we were invited out to Santa Fe, New Mexico to spend a few days checking out the office of a retiring pediatric dentist.
I was really excited to get out there because August is a very unpleasant month for us out here. Living in a house with no air conditioning during the hottest, most humid month is not pleasant. We were lucky enough to leave Max with the collective grandparents and Ginna and I had a great long weekend together.

To start the trip off, we ended up driving a car that embarrassed Ginna to death, a Hummer. It was the smallest one and it was a testament as to why GM is in such trouble. This thing was a hunk of junk on 31in tires.
20090809-IMG_8405
We only have this one picture of it taken in the mountains near Los Alamos. Honestly, it barely drove smoother than my old land rover. But, we didn't have to drive too much, so it worked out fine.


In truth, I was a little nervous going into Santa Fe. Knowing that it is a large center for art, specifically southwest art. I was afraid that everything was going to look like this. Instead, we were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed the esthetic.
20090807-IMG_8375
Here is a picture of a street downtown, near the inn where we stayed.
20090808-IMG_8379
The desert can really be a beautiful place and I like the organic look of the adobe architecture.
20090808-IMG_8376
Since there is a scarcity of water, the city is not full of artificially maintained lawns and gardens, like many other places in the west. There is instead a tendency to cultivate the naturally growing grasses, pinions and wild flowers.
20090809-IMG_8402
One of the things I liked most about the city was the way the homes and buildings blend into the surrounding mountains. A big complaint I have with some western cities is the preponderance of McMansions everywhere. I'd much rather look out to the mountains and see mountains instead of oversized, cheaply build homes I still can't afford.
If you are reading this in Utah, look east. In Colorado, look west. Now, compare that view to this view of a populated mountainside in Santa Fe:
20090809-IMG_8415
20090809-IMG_8418
It's like you hardly notice the homes. In fact, many of the more affluent neighborhoods maintain dirt roads throughout. In many cases the dirt removed to dig the basements becomes the adobe used to build.
Naturally, any city with an art scene and eco-friendly building with natural landscaping is bound to have hippies.
20090807-IMG_8370
In Santa Fe, they are more like mountain men than hippies; instead of weed, it's peyote.

We took a trip to Los Alamos because we were curious to see it. It was a small place, but very beautiful. Here is an overlook we stopped at just outside of town.
20090809-IMG_8410
Finally, the sky and sunsets were amazing. The combination of sunshine and crisp mountain/desert air made it really hard for us to want to leave.
20090809-IMG_8408


20090809-IMG_8413

8 comments:

Ginna said...

silly Kris--those guys playing music weren't "like" mountain men, they were real mountain men! And we didn't see any of them doing anything with peyote--they were just selling piles of weird old stuff at the "mountain man market" by the museum.
You didn't say anything about the crazy lady with the buzzard on her arm there either.

It was a cool place.

Rachel said...

I grew up with real mountain men. Those you have in that photo are much too clean to be mountain men. :)

The sunset is beautiful.

I agree with the view. That is one thing that is hard for me here in UT. Growing up with no one around our view was mountains. Beautiful mountains. Here, I can't see them for all of the houses blocking my view!!! Grrrr!

Megan said...

LOVE SANTA FE! Kris, that link to the old 80's Santa Fe "art" reminded me of a t-shirt I bought to remember my first Santa Fe vacation when I was 10. Luckily Santa Fe and I have both grown up and refined our tastes a lot since then.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and if you guys end up out there I'M COMING TO VISIT.

p.s. they have a trader joe's

Lisa said...

Wow, who knew Santa Fe was so beautiful. But I am still hung up on the fact that you guys live in a house w/o air conditioning...how is that possible!?

K said...

Okay - here is my response: make up your minds arready so I know where I'm going to be driving the rest of my life.

Kristen Wilde said...

I didn't know any of that stuff about Santa Fe. Sounds like quite a cool place! I hope the job works out, if it's meant to be!

Amanda D said...

Santa Fe sure looks beautiful but I would much rather you consider the pacific northwest.

:)

Marni said...

Hey! You just got here! (To Warwick anyway...) And now you're planning your departure? Bummerrrrr....