Thursday, November 20, 2008

::cupcakes::

When we went to the grocery store at the beginning of my parents visit, my mom and Max found themselves a project. They ran across a bottle of frosting that they just couldn't pass up. It was green, and had four different decorating tips. So they had to get some other cupcake making stuff to go along with it.

They got started by putting on our lovely aprons.
20081118-IMG_8100.JPG
Kathy made these aprons for us last christmas. My mom used mine. Max's is so cute. It has a little giraffe on it. He really likes it.
20081118-IMG_8102.JPG

Then they set to work mixing up the cakes.
20081118-IMG_8104.JPG
Sorry my photos are kind of grainy. Seems like it's been really dim in my house for the last while. I probably need to get used to it--I'm guessing it's just that it's winter. Oh well.

Here's mom trying to explain the concept of two-thirds to Max, since the cupcake cups are supposed to be filled to 2/3.
20081118-IMG_8108.JPG
I'm not sure he grasped it. But he did a good job filling the cups anyway.
20081118-IMG_8110.JPG
I don't have any pictures of him filling, but my mom does! In fact she has a bunch of good pictures of the cooking process. Like Max cracking eggs and stirring and pouring water. They're very cute. Check them out if you're feeling like it.

Then after waiting as patiently as possible for things to cool down, they frosted.
20081118-IMG_8112.JPG

20081118-IMG_8114.JPG

20081118-IMG_8116.JPG
I'm not sure why Max felt like he needed two spatulas, but it makes me a little nervous.

Then on to the fun stuff--the whole point of this project really.
20081118-IMG_8122.JPG
Squeezing out the frosting was really hard for Max, but he did a great job. He stuck out his tongue the whole time in deep concentration.
20081118-IMG_8119.JPG
They look great, don't they?
I'm very proud of him--the two of them really. This is the kind of project that a sweet small boy might always remember. He's lucky to have such a great Gram.

7 comments:

Liz said...

Hi, I'm Liz, I'm the San Diego blog stalker. I met your mom on Facebook. She's brilliant. She invited me to her blog and your blog because I like photography too, and now I see that you're both brilliant! You have great photography skills. Hope you don't mind that I've been reading along. Oh, incidentally, I'm also a good friend of Kari's from our old ward. Lived just below her sweet family in Chambery. It's a small, SMALL world! :)

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes were yummy and I know that this will be a bright memory for Max


missing you


Dad

Marilyn said...

It sounds like you had such a great time with your parents. I bet they were sad to leave. My mom was sad when we moved from Provo to South Jordan; I should tell her to be grateful I'm not clear across the country like you. But it is nice for them to have such a cool place to visit. Maybe we'll come visit you ourselves, someday (I want to see all those cool things your Mom put on her blog) :)

K said...

It was totally fun, and just exactly what we were hoping for when we found that can of icing. We didn't make any actual leaves, though we did a couple of stars. But the point wasn't art - and I'm really, really glad you remembered we had the icing so I didn't forget to do the dang thing.

He was wonderful. He's a dog that needs a job - hey! So am I!!!

Kari said...

Looks yummy :) When you come to visit I"m going to put you to work Max. I need a good cupcake maker.

Laura said...

Have you ever heard Strawberry Shortcake's "The Cuppycake song"?
That's what popped in my head when I was reading this.
If you look it up on youtube there's a video with a little girl singing it. It's disgustingly adorable.
In any case - more delicious food pictures! Thanks for the virtual snack.

Rachel said...

I love the photo of your mom with her glasses marking the cup cake papers. You captured her perfectly.

I also love the last photo of Frazz's little belly! How adorable!

We have these same frosting decorating cans. They are great. Most ends up in my kids' mouths. Not too much on the thing they are frosting......that is the whole point isn't it?