Thursday, November 27, 2008

::happy thanksgiving::

In honor of Thanksgiving today, I'm going to show you some pictures from the "Harvest Feast" at Max's school earlier this week.

It's basically a Thanksgiving party that's held the day before thanksgiving vacation.  But there are a lot of different people here in the city, and nobody wants to offend, so Harvest Feast it is!

The kids and teachers started making food for the feast at the beginning of November, and I think they made at least one different thing every week.

When I arrived at the school all the kids were outside playing on the playground. They were all being fire fighters. Max was up high on one of the slide platforms yelling, "FIRE!! FIRE!!"
20081124-IMG_8136.JPG
The other kids came running and put his fire out. It was pretty cute.

The menu for the feast was pretty extensive:
20081124-IMG_8141
Pretty impressive, huh?

20081124-IMG_8145.JPG
Here's the butter and pickles. Max's teacher said that Max's class is the first class in 13 years that actually made the butter all by themselves. They made it by putting cream in a jar and shaking it. They took turns all through the day I guess. How cute!

Max was especially proud of the pickles. The kids cut up the cucumbers with those little pumpkin carving knives that aren't very sharp. I was told Max ate at least as many pieces of cucumber as he put into the jar.
The pickles turned out tasting pretty good!
20081124-IMG_8150.JPG

20081124-IMG_8155.JPG
Here's Max getting served some oatmeal bread. I was the helping parent the day they started working on the bread. They talked about yeast and kneading and all sorts of things. It was pretty fun.

Here we have applesauce and apple crisp.
20081124-IMG_8147.JPG
Max had about 17 servings of apple sauce.

20081124-IMG_8160.JPG
My plate! I especially liked the corn bread and the pumpkin bread.

20081124-IMG_8169.JPG
The kids had decorated art for each table. I don't know if this is Max's or not, but it could be. He didn't know when I asked him. He said "Maybe I drew that." Silly.

It was so fun to get to see what the kids had been working on. We're thankful to have such a fun school here that Max loves. It's helped us all to feel more at home.
20081124-IMG_8159.JPG
We're lucky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginna

The photos look great, as usual. Tell Max I wish I could've had a pickle

Love you


Dad

K said...

A very inspiring and mouth watering exposition. I am not, today, envious of your feast, having stuffed my own self with less inventive and hand made fare - but two days from now, I will wish I had some of the apple crisp and pumpkin bread - and the pleasure of Max's and your company as I ate it. Nice that the real photographer is back on line - a feast for the eyes. How I love your line and color. Oh, and You.

Rachel said...

How delightful! I'm working about on the level of a preschooler these days..can I go to school with Frazz? Sure looks better than what Levi had for his "Harvest Meal"..........