
Last Monday night when Kris got done with work we picked up our cute friend from church Rachel and headed over to Spike's Junkyard Dogs for a family home evening dinner.
Spikes is this funny strange hot dog restaurant that has a few locations in Providence. Spike is a bulldog. He's the mascot.
I've never really seen a stand alone hot dog restaurant before. I've seen plenty in the food court in the mall, but nothing like this.
It's a really funny place, I don't know how else to describe it. It's supposed to be a junkyard, the outside of the place has a whole bunch of hubcaps hanging all over the walls. There's a chain link fence running down the middle of the inside, separating the seating. It's funny. Then there are all sorts of goofy signs on the walls.

Anyway, it's pretty tasty. They have a veggie hot dog that I like pretty well.
We went there the first time because we were driving around trying to find something and ran across it when we were hungry. Kris couldn't resist trying it. After that Kris and Max were both hooked.

(the obligatory picture of Max eating)
It's a guy thing. Evidently a lot of the guys we know out here are fans of Spike's. It'll come up in conversation from time to time. "Have you been to Spikes?!"
(Carie and Ricky, did you ever go to Spike's?)
They have the weird hot dog buns here. They're just not like anything out west. Or mid western for that matter. It takes a little more work to eat these buns.
But they're tasty.

I wouldn't want to go there every day, that's for sure. But it's fun to go once in a while. And it's more affordable that a lot of places to eat around here. And of course we had to introduce Rachel to a Providence gem!

But evidently "hot dog addiction is possible" so watch out. If you come out here and try it, you might not want to go back!!



7 comments:
I wanna go.
we lived super close to one in boston that I always wanted to go to until i realized what they sold and since I am the anti-dog I never went in. i don't know if carie did, i could walk five feet and ask her but i just had a piece of turtle pie and am feeling super lazy right now. i'm glad you liked it though, it always looked like a popular joint.
Those are always the best places. Little local hot spots. Yum!
Wanna know something weird? I can't stand hot dogs. Hate em. UNLESS we're at a stadium and then I CRAVE THEM! I have to have one and they taste SO GOOD TO ME........odd....but then are we surprised?
i love me a good hotdog. i'm gonna have to go to JDawgs now. That's the best of the best around utah county. Oh and there is a 5 guys hamburger joint in slc now. we went and oh my laws...it was good. thanks for the recommendation. love Max's list. hilarious. I try to love the one that's bigger, too. that's how I ended up with dan. big guy.
We tried this place for the first time a couple of months ago and loved it!
Unfortunately, Ricky has made a law that prohibits me from spending ANY money on hot dogs.
Post a Comment