Sunday, August 10, 2008

.::Pizza Skills::.

Kris and I have been honing our pizza making skills for quite a long time. Some wonderful person gave us a pizza stone for our wedding, and it's probably been our favorite thing to cook ever since.
Kris is the one who's really good at it. He has a few tricks up his sleeve.

A couple of weeks ago I broke the pizza stone by accidentally putting it on a hot burner. It was scary and I was really sad.
Look how sad this is:
20080717-IMG_5623.JPG
Can you see the lines of oil and deliciousness that had seeped into the middle of the stone. It had it's own delicious flavor that was transferred to all our pizzas.

But anyway, it was a sunk cost. So once I got over feeling really bad about it we went and bought a new stone. It's bigger, which is good because our family is a little bigger now than it was back in the day.

When we were in New York we went to this delicious pizza place under the Brooklyn bridge. They used fresh mozzarella and put the cheese under the sauce, which looked so weird. But oh it tasted SO good!
Kris thought we needed to try it. So we went all out and got some real pepperoni too, instead of that stuff in a bag at the grocery store.
And mmmmm, boy is it delicious. Ready to start drooling?
20080804-IMG_6153.JPG
We made this one last week. It also has fresh basil on it from the plant our neighbor gave me. I'm trying to keep it alive. The fresh basil is really tasty.
20080804-IMG_6158.JPG
Max is saying "But I didn't want mushrooms! I just wanted pepperoni on my pizza!"
It's a tough life, isn't it?
20080804-IMG_6157.JPG
He tried to use his big eyes on me but it didn't work. He had to eat the mushrooms.
20080804-IMG_6159.JPG
And he did. And somehow I kept him from dumping the whole pizza on the ground here.

We've been doing really well so far with cooking. We've eaten dinner at home almost every single night since we officially moved in. That's a really big deal for us because for about the last four years we were both way too busy to cook consistently. It was really a struggle.
So we're hoping we'll gain a little health and maybe a little extra cash flow if we can keep it up. It makes me feel good to finally have time to actually take care of my family.
20080804-IMG_6163.JPG
Here's Max waiting for the pizza. He's got his friend the "robot flashlight" there on the table beside him. He's a goof.

15 comments:

Kari said...

mmmmmm, that pizza looks really really good. Will you email some instructions so I can make it too? I'm serious, I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Kathy said...

I hope you can make that for me when I come to visit. It does look really good and those big eyes of Max would of worked on me. He looks so grown up with his new haircut. I really like it. I like the long locks too but he does look adorable as always.

Good job on the cooking. That is hard to do and takes a lot of work so way to go. I need to take a lesson from you.

Bryce said...

Pizza! How cool! We haven't been too good at that so we gave up. Any good tips?

K said...

Don't we have a history with making pizza stuff, though? Remember my mom coming and teaching us how to make french bread pizza? We did that every Friday for a long time. And we made our own pizza for so long - without a stone, even! You guys are so urban and funky, honestly.

Just wanna say I miss you.

Dave said...

I hate mushrooms on my pizza too, Max!!

Fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, real pepperoni... ummmm

carie said...

aww, your like a real mommy with cooking and stuff.

Rachel said...

We had the same thing happen to us! Brian's grandma gave us a deep dish pizza stone and then......awhile ago it broke! We were both so sad.

I know what you mean about the sauce on top. That is how Brian (being from Chicaaaago) taught me to make it.

Mmmmm, I love pizza! I like Max's hair cut in these photo's. His big eyes really stand out.

Marilyn said...

Yum! It looks delicious. Very impressive! Have you tried making pizza on the grill? It's really yummy, and you can avoid heating up the house with the pizza stone in your 500-degree oven. That's our summer way. And fresh basil is the best!!

Anonymous said...

Yes the pizza looks awesome. It's dinnertime here and I'm creve de faim. Where does one go to purchase a pizza stone, by the way?

Love you

Dad

Laura said...

Wow. Operation drool accomplished. I think you should set up shop right next to the NYC place - it'd generate some interesting competition for them. :)

Amy said...

I'm drooling! I'm so jealous that you can actually find all those wonderful ingredients AND eat pizza in New York! Gary and I went to New Jersey/New York right after we got married and for some reason, the food just tastes so much better there! Especially the gelattis (sp?) and cheese steaks. Mmmmm. What a seriously cute boy Max is! The big eyes would have worked on me.

Amanda D said...

Are you trying to say that the pepperoni from Albertsons isn't real? ;)

Any chance you are going to post your dough recipe??!! I would love to make really good pizza. And yours looks soooo good. I'm drooling!

Ginna said...

OK, well I hate to break it to everybody that thinks we're ultra cool now, but we usually just use a crust from the grocery store--one of the premade kind. It makes the meal so quick and easy. Or else we've gotten dough from the grocery store too which is good.

And then the mozzarella and pepperoni are both from the grocery store, but just in a different section--like the fresh cheeses deli section rather than the normal sandwich stuff aisle. Like the mozzarella is just this ball of cheese, and the pepperoni is a stick that you cut slices off.

We also tend to use prepared sauces too, like the ragu pizza sauce or some of those kind of spaghetti sauces. I want to learn to make my own though, I think it would just take it over the top.

So there are all our secrets prettymuch. Ta da!

Megan said...

Looks so good! Yumm-o

Lorena said...

That pizza stone was crazy. I had never seen one so well seasoned, that is sad. But you always need a bigger pizza especially when it looks as yummy as yours did. The sauce on top is how they made the pizza in Chicago. So yours made my mouth water. Plus Max looks so grown up with his hair cut.