
When Kris and I came and visited Providence for the first time in February, our friends Chad and Melissa drove us around this area. We were trying to decide between living here and living in more of a suburban type area.
As we were driving along Kris and I caught a glimpse of this park. It was like Max's dream made flesh or something. It was all surrounded by a high iron fence and scattered among the playground equipment were a whole bunch of cars. Little tykes cars. It was like a car burying ground or something--like all the cars in Providence had gone there to live out their remaining days.
So once we finally got out here Kris and I tried to find the park for Max. It wasn't easy to find, but we finally did it.
It's a little more than a mile away from our house. A while ago Max and I set out to see how cool it really was.

He was pretty much psyched out of his mind.

He tried to ride every single thing there was to ride.


I couldn't come close to documenting all his different rides.


There are a good amount of other toys there too. Check it out. This is all besides the standard swing set/slide setup that any normal park has.

Crazy huh?
I guess people just bring their old toys here when they're done with them. It sure makes a fun park for guys like my Max.

Anybody seen one of these things before?

This thing was propelled by arm strength. Max was kind of slow. His arms are a little scrawny.

And he ran over my foot a few times. That wasn't very comfortable.
Isn't that a weird toy?
Max was totally in heaven. We stayed quite a while. Several hours, which is a really long time for me to stay at a park. I amused myself with my camera for a while (which is probably obvious to all of you) and then I called my mom and talked to her for a long time. When I got done he was still going strong.
Places like this are hard because it's so nice he has a good time, but leaving is such an ordeal it's almost not worth going! He's getting better about things like that, little by little, but it's still often quite the struggle.
Max finished up this park visit by appropriating some little girl's bike. I wasn't really paying attention because there were SO many different things just sitting around. It was only later when I was looking at the photos that I realized probably nobody dropped this little bike off here to die.

But he didn't get in trouble with anybody, so that's good!
We haven't gone back yet, but we'll have to do it soon. It's starting to cool down a bit out here, so I know we need to take advantage of the fun outdoor activities while we can! It's a lot more fun for me to go to the park when it's a little cool outside anyway.
So what do you think? Best park ever?



11 comments:
Nate would LOVE that park! Although he's probably still to little to ride all of those- I'd end up pushing him around for hours. Fun though!
Definetly(sorry, I can't ever seem to spell this word right! it makes me crazy) the best park ever, way better than just basic playground equipment by far!
weirdest park ever. cool too. I wonder how it happened that all those cars got there.
That is very cool! The best park ever all the way. My boys (and my girl!) would LOVE it.
So that's a good idea to just take the toys you don't want anymore and let everybody use them. I love it when it cools down, so go out and enjoy yourselves!
I left photo comments at Flickr. I think this park is great (except I'd probably take clorox wipes - just me). A park for his bottom and your eye.
Definitely. Kari - think de-fi-ni-tel-y or de-finite-ly.
I always have a problem with that one also, always. And so many others. Spelling is difficult because there are so many languages with so many rules and roots all combined. And some of the words, like "debt" were misspelled by the first people to try to stabilize spelling in the language - like in the 1400s, and now we're stuck with the stupid spelling they decided on.
So don't feel alone. If you read this. Which you probably won't, darn it.
This park is very cool. I know what you mean about playing outside while you can. I am really worried about how my boys are going to react to being inside all winter. I don't think they are gonna handle it gracefully!!
Humbolt park is the best park ever! All the parents just drop of their kids' old toys there. There are actually a lot of parks around there that have these toys everywhere. Humbolt is the best and biggest though.
You see that little wooden box that all the toys are stored in, in your fifth picture down? One day, when I was 9 months pregnant, I discover Isobel was in there crying with a super bloody head. I guess the kids were throwing rocks in and out of that box and isobel got knocked in the forehead by a rock (thrown by her own friend - henry.) We rushed to the emergency room and I felt embarrassed that I didn't keep a better eye on her. I think that was actually the last time I went to this park. I had no idea that seeing that wooden box again would make those scary memories flood back.
It's pretty awesome, but also a little weird a la providence :) It seriously feels like fall today, SAD!
What a neat idea! I'd do that here but I know that what ever we'd drop off would get stolen.....how sad is that?
Here's a thought....when my kids are having a great time at a friends house and they pull the whiney stuff when it is time to leave I walk up to them and ask them quietly, "would you like to come back here and play next time?" The answer is obviously "yes"......I tell them, "Then you best stop whining and get in the truck fast and SHOW me that you want to come back." I've used that many times and it has worked. Worked because sometimes they didn't want to quit whining so we made "plans" to come back to where ever it was but, "oh darn, you misbehaved last time so bummer....you can't come....or go....". Amazingly the next time when it was time to go! The child was quite cooperative! :o)
Hope that helps.......the biggest key is following through and sticking to your guns. That is the hardest part for me. We've come up with activities for our family at the last second just so who ever was naughty would miss out. Mean aren't we? :o)
Just recently had to do that with Kirsten. She was a snit about something so Brian and I hurried up and made a plan to have a video party with the kids but...."oh darn Kirsten, because you acted like a baby.....babies go to bed early so I guess you'll be missing out". She went to bed and we watched a video with the rest of the family.
You could do something similar with Max. You could have a pizza party or cookie party or video party.....make a big hoopla about it and then when it is time for the party send him to bed because babies go to bed early and he was acting like a baby. Just be prepared for what comes next. It'll rip your heart out but like I said.....I'm mean. :o) Nips it in the little bud though....
Just a thought........
My question is what stops people from taking the toys??
Post a Comment