Friday, July 18, 2008

.::Bummed::.

Today Max and I were supposed to be going to the beach with our friends from church.
Kris started to feel sick with a cold last night, so of course when Max woke up this morning he was sick and floppy. It seems to always happen this way. I really wanted to go to the beach today because we're in the middle of a New England "heat wave" which means that temps are up above 90 degrees.

To all of you folks who live anywhere but here that sounds like normal summer weather, right? Well it is. But youguys probably all have some sort of air conditioning or cooling system.
We don't! And neither do a lot of places here in RI, including a few of the local libraries which closed yesterday and won't open up until things cool down.

So our house gets hot. We've invested in a lot of different kinds of fans. These fans help, but they can't really deal with 95 degree weather.
I was hoping to escape the hot house by hanging out at the beach all day. But it was not to be. Instead I had to stay home in the hot and sweaty cave of our house (we have to keep all the blinds closed so the sun doesn't get things even hotter.)

I was bummed. But I finally took out my little personal sized blender, which I've had for a couple of months but never have gotten a chance to use. I made myself a delicious smoothie in the style of my dad. That made me happy.
Pretend like I made you one too.
20080718-IMG_5637.JPG
mmmmmmm
20080718-IMG_5639.JPG
It was so cold and nice.

Max made himself into a car wash. I'm not sure how the play dough fits into the car wash situation, but it's what inspired him to do it in the first place.
20080718-IMG_5630.JPG
At about 1PM I wished I was in a car wash. I'm not too good in the heat.
20080718-IMG_5633.JPG

20080718-IMG_5635.JPG

We ended up hanging out, holding still (mostly me) and watching movies for most of the day. I made Max take a cool bath which I think helped. He felt prettymuch fine by the end of the day.
Then when Kris was done with work we went and picked him up and drove straight to the movie theater so Kris could see WallE with us. Max and I saw it a few weeks ago. It was great to sit in the cool movie theater for a while.

Hopefully we'll make it back to the beach soon, but even more I hope this heat wave doesn't last very long! I might melt.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginnna

I'm soo sad that you didn't get to go to the beach. Bummer for sure. And isn't that the way it always seems to go with little guys.

thinking of you

Dad

K said...

That's what it was like in Kansas City for me as a kid in the summer. And in New York. We had this fan, one of those nice large old floor fans - but it had these switches, like a old kind of timer, and it would run for fifteen minutes and then be off for an hour. Then start again. I think about it, and I can't figure out how it worked.

My parents had rules about how long we could run the fans on us as we tried to sleep in the dripping heat. But I'd always get off the top bunk and push down all the switches so the fan would keep running.

Now I think about it, I wonder why my folks were so danged stingy about it - like a fan costs - what? About ten cents for the whole night back then. And we were really suffering upstairs in the house. But with the fans, I could stand it.

In Kansas City, we had this huge - I mean really huge - attic fan my dad would kick on to pull the cool air out of the house - it was very mysterious and a little scary, but I loved it. As long as the air is moving, I can stand the heat. It's the stillness and the humidity that does me in.

Anyway, I'd be in heaven with all those fans -

Nancy said...

GINNA! Last year we were dying in the heat too. It was the hottest Summer in Utah ever and Derek was little and... we bought a window air conditioner. Do those things work in RI? It was $100 at Costco and it saved our lives. It says it only cools one room, but our whole 2 bedroom apartment (with fans, like you said) felt like 300 BILLION times better. Anyway, yeah. I just had to say. I hope you and Max feel cooler soon!

carie said...

i remember those super hot over 90 degree days with no ac. They lasted about a week in Boston, until my mom felt so bad for us that she bought a window ac for $100 from KMart. It REALLY REALLY helped.

You should try it. Oh but I also remember not being able to find one anywhere. They all get sold out so quickly. We had to order online. Yikes! good luck!

Lorena said...

You need to find Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap. It is carried at Trader Joe's and health food stores or sometimes camping stores. I promise it will make you feel like a whole new person if you shower with it on a hot summer day. I think it was the only thing that got us through the summers in AZ. Somebody said it's like having a peppermint patty in your pants, and it's true! If you shower with it in the evening you will feel cooled down and rejivinated. It's a pure castile soap so you can also use it to clean your house. There are a few different kinds lavendar, almond, but get the peppermint. Go find it today (If you can't find it in your town you can order it on-line) You will love it, I promise! Good luck in the heat. I have felt your pain.

Amanda D said...

Is it really humid there? We are enjoying a nice cool day here... It is supposed to be getting up in the low 90's but it drops so much at night that we don't have the AC on and have been quite comfortable. I hope you get to cool down at the beach soon!

Kathy said...

That is not fair. I hope you get to go to the beach soon. Try to stay cool and hope Max is feeling better.

Laura said...

mmmm, sounds lovely. Makes me grateful for the AC. And blenders.

What did you think of WALL-E?? Was it super-amzing or just amazing? :)

K said...

You know what? I think these comments should be more respected - we could start a conversation in the comments - but nobody would know because nobody subscribes to them (do they?) and so they don't know if somebody has answered their comments.

Lorena - I WANT THAT SOAP. I've never even heard of it before. I'm going to google it right now, even though it's Sunday. I had to go look after a sick horse today and came home swimming in my own juices.

Amanda - Honey, the humidity on the east coast is wonderful and terrifying. We had a de-humidifier installed in our bedroom in New York and took a couple of gallons out of the air every summer day.

I love the beach, but I hate having sand stuck to me.

And we loved Wall-E. I was captivated through the entire thing, but I didn't realize how amazing it was until I considered that they had done almost the equivalent of a mime movie, and had been able to communicate intricate emotional expressions with nothing but line and color (and a little foley).

It was adorable, engaging, beautiful, and I want to work there, too.

Rachel said...

Ugh! I SO melt in the heat. Ooooh, if only I'd read this post a few days ago. Brian went to Trader Joe's for me before coming home from SanFran and I could have gotten all of you peppermint soap!

Ginna said...

Thanks for the recommendations guys! We're trying to go without an AC unit because of cost, and normally it's temperate enough to be ok, it's just these killer heat waves that are terrible. We'll see how the rest of the summer goes.

Amanda--It is humid here, but not nearly as humid as it was in MO where we lived before, it's usually very bearable. But not right now!

Laura--We really liked WallE and it was so fun to watch. I'm a fan.

And Aunt Lorena, thanks for the soap reccomendation, I'm definitely looking into that!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember that heat and humidity. One year we got out of school in the winter time due to snow and a few days in the spring due to the heat-THAT was a great year.

Hey I am just catching up on blogs, the scoots is taking better naps now that i'm sleeping him on his tummy during the day and have time to read the blog posts all the way through and sometimes comment!

If you are able to make it back to NY sometime, check out Junior's cheesecake. They have the best cheesecake and actually supply a good portion of cheesecake around the nation. Once you go Junior's cheesecake, NOTHING tastes as good.

I know they have a restaurant at Grand Central Terminal-and note that it says terminal NOT station. A station is more like in the middle of the railway, where a terminal is at the end of a line of a railway-so trains stop and then go back in reverse. I thought that was fun to learn when I first went to NY-everyone says Grand Central Station-but its not a station at all....
Anyway, back to cheesecake, here is the url:
http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/