Monday, September 03, 2007

Max is scared of Dinos




I tend to think that little three year old boys should automatically love dinosaurs. Like it should just be ingrained in them or something. I don't know if this is because my youngest brother, Murphy, adored Dinos and played with them all the time, or if it's just one of those universal things that everyone assumes.
So anyway, I tend to assume that Max should like them too. He does not. At all.
In fact, the other night he told me he couldn't sleep in his PJs that had a dinosaur on them because they were just "too scary."
I think this may all stem from a quick visit to the new "T-Rex Cafe" in our area a few months ago.

This is a really cool place, similar to the Rainforest Cafe, for those of you that have been there, but with dinosaurs. So anyway, we dropped in there quickly to check the place out. Kris had Max on his shoulders. There's a big T-Rex right in the entrance whose head goes up and down and back and forth I think. Anyway, I looked up at Max after a minute to see if he was having fun, and the dinosaur's head was about 6 inches from Max's head, and Max was looking really really scared!
Here's the culprit himself.

Pretty scary, huh? We didn't think too much of it though. He seemed fine after we left. (We quickly got him down out of the Dino's mouth when we realized how uncomfortable he was of course.)
So then a few weeks later we tried to go to a laser show at the planetarium, but ended up being too late, so we dropped into the 3-d Dinosaur movie at the IMax. Max was actually wearing his 3-d glasses, which was pretty amazing, but then suddenly a brontosaurus onscreen decided to check us out, turning his head and sticking it way out to the audience. Guess who didn't like that much? Yep, Max. He wouldn't wear his glasses again, and actually didn't watch much of the rest of the movie.
Fast forward to last night. Max woke up at about 4 in the morning and came and got me up. I tucked him back into bed, and was about to head back to my comfy bed when he said quietly "The Dinosaurs are coming....." Oh great. So I told him they weren't. He told me they were, I just had to watch the ceiling. And he "didn't want to bite them."
Guess who slept in our bed for the rest of the night? That's right, Max.
What brought on the frights last night? My theory is that it was Pee-Wee Herman. Kris decided he wanted Max to watch "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" with him, it being one of Kris's alltime favorite movies and being about bikes, which Max and Kris both love. So we've watched a bit of it a couple of nights. Last night we watched the part that has the weird truckstop with the big huge dino statues. And which also has the claymation dinosaur eating PeeWee's bike. We talked about that part and everything, about how it was pretend, but evidently it didn't matter. I think we've learned a little lesson. No more Dinos for Max for a while. I like him to sleep, it's just much better that way.

Here are a couple of pictures of him acting, he's supposed to be looking afraid of that toy dinosaur, but he's not. It took a lot of coaching to get the emotion in these pictures, I hope you appreciate it!! :)
And don't bite the dinosaurs when they come tonight. Just for us.



8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey Gina! Here's my new blog account http://hillamfamily.blogspot.com/
We hope you'll visit it from time to time!

Kari said...

Oh poor Max. You need some magic dino spray to scare the dinos out of his room at night. Spray bottles of water are perfect :) You can put food coloring in it too to make it look more special. Hope he gets less scared and you all get to sleep!

{Erica} said...

your little max is such a cutie. Thanks so much for the info on kansas city...we were planning on going down for the whole weekend...however, due to bret's school we could only go for a day. it was a fast trip and fun! Maybe next time we can meet up....I'm sure this won't be the last time we go to KC :D

Anonymous said...

So when I was a kid I saw Fantasia, with the segment where the dinosaurs die and turn into skeletons...I was terrified of the dinosaurs and especially of the dinosaur bones.

grampa guy

Anonymous said...

Poor MAx sounds like he has had very tramatic experiences with dino's of late. Hope he will be over it soon for everyone's sake. Love the pictures and give him a hug and kiss for me. Love KAthy

K said...

Okay - Kari, what a great idea! Once, when we were at a family reunion in Colorado, one of the little cousins, having been bitten once, was terrified of the big ants they had there. So I gave him a magic feather that kept the ants off. It worked, actually - well, not actually. But he carried it everywhere the whole time.

My favorite part of all this (NOT the part where the parents joyfully subject their child to frightening things like PeeWee Herman) is the pictures. The middle one is, of course, my favorite. I think early dramatic training can help in courtship later on ---

I will not get the boy any more dino jammies.

Murphy said...

Hah! that's amazing! I'll try not to bite the dinos... but they're just so tasty!

Chazi R said...

Oh no!! I didn't think it was POSSIBLE for little boys to be afraid of dinosaurs! In fact, I think I was convinced up until now that EVERY little kid loves dinosaurs. I know I did...