He turned seven last week while on our trip to Phoenix.
Poor guy, we drove half the way the night before his birthday and drove the rest of the way on his birthday morn. Unfortunately for him, he came down with a cold just as we left town. So he slept awfully and he had stuffed up ears and a yucky cough. Driving down from the mountains into the Phoenix valley just about killed him. I think he felt like his ear was going to explode. At one point, about an hour outside of town we got stuck in construction. Max was bawling, Sandy was screaming and I thought I was going to die. If there had been a cliff handy I would've gone off it. Luckily everybody settled down and we made it to our hotel.
Oh, but it was before that the festivities started. Max had requested a couple of weeks ago if we could put a little present under his pillow and say to him "Good Morning Sunshine!" or something to that effect to wake him up. So we did it. But we forgot what we were supposed to say and so we said "Rise and shine Buckaroo!!" It worked just as well though and he was excited to wake up to a little gift. We got him a watch with Pluto on it. It reminded me of the Mickey Mouse watch my parents gave me when I was about his age.
Once we got to the hotel took the boys swimming right away because it looked like that day was going to be our only swim worthy weather. Sadly again for the Max, the little water slide at the hotel was closed. But he had fun anyway. Sandy did awesome swimming even though it wasn't really that nice out. It was kind of breezy and cool. But he was way into it. I can't wait until the next time was can take him swimming. Whenever that may be!
Then we went back and he opened his presents. He was psyched about them, thank goodness. Then we headed out and picked up some Jimmy John's sandwiches for dinner along with a yummy b-day cake from Trader Joe's. After that we put the poor boy to bed and it took him hours and hours to wind down enough to fall asleep.
I think all-in-all it turned out to be a pretty good day. I hope so anyway, we only turn seven once!






7 comments:
The fact that Max is surrounded by such goodness and love is special. Down the road he will forget what he got, the stuffy nose and aches. He'll remember he was loved. And that is what matters to a little boy of seven to grow up to be a big secure boy of manhood.
Thanks so much Rachel, that's really good for me to hear right now. Love you!
I meant every word I said Ginna. You are a great mommy. I love you too!
Rachel is right. And she knows. She's that kind of mommy, too. A present under his pillow - MAGICAL. And "Good Morning, sunshine"? How cute is that that he wanted you to say that? And Buckaroo works great, too. And that lego toy - COOL AS HECK. Did it hold together? What a FAB time. And you are doing a great job. One day, as we were going to LA in that little VW rabbit of ours - all of us crammed in with babyseats so that I could really reach anybody - I think it was Char who just started screaming.
We'd had to stop to fix the car in Cedar City. We'd been in the car for way over twelve hours with no room to move. When she started screaming, my brain almost exploded. But I remember making a sudden, complete decision. I pulled myself in, way back down and in, breathed, and completely slowed down my speech and lowered my voice and started telling a story. Suddenly, the car was quiet.
It's probably the most amazing thing I've ever done.
What a cool looking lego set. Sounds like you did a good job of giving him a fun birthday even though you had to be on the road.
Love to you all
Dad
What a cool birthday! I really feel for him though, I used to get earaches and I HATED them, that was the worst ever.
It seems like you all survived however.
Happy, happy birthday to your handsome little guy. Sounds like a fun day. My Tony wants the set that Max got. :)
Post a Comment