Saturday, February 12, 2011

::freezing::

Luckily for us it's not freezing anymore right now--well, at least not the way it was.
The week of my birthday had some crazy weather. My birthday was nice and temperate, but the next day a storm blew in. My parents were flying out that afternoon, and it was truly questionable whether they were going to make it out or not. Lucky for me since Kris was flying out to see his parents that weekend they drove our car down there and parked it in long term parking. It was very nice that I didn't have to drive down and back with the boys, since it was terrible driving conditions and seemed very unsafe.
Max had a two hour delay for school and it was so darn cold I decided to just keep him home so I didn't have to take the baby out in the freezing.

Anyway, they made it luckily--though I think there was some white-knuckle driving in there.
That night it got freezing freezing cold, like well below zero, which is unusual for out here. School was cancelled the next day and we discovered that our pilot light had gone out. We have radiant floor heating and it takes a long time to cool down and a long time to warm up. By the time we realized the furnace wasn't running it was way cold in the house and it took forever and a day to warm up.
We spent a lot of time in the living room by the fire and we dressed Sand really warmly.
20110202-IMG_3006
20110202-IMG_3007
Max got out every toy he owned in an effort to entertain himself. He did well, but we were getting pretty tired of the still cold house by the end of the day. We braved the snow that night to go and grab a couple of burgers at a new place with FRY SAUCE!

The next day there was another two hour school delay. I ran into work after I dropped Max off and I got a automated phone call from the school district saying that all the students were warm and safe, but there was a statewide gas shortage and that they were going to close up school as soon as all classes were over. Turned out there was a true shortage and several cities in the state were completely without gas and some without power for days that week! Luckily we were fine. We did close the office friday though, in order to contribute to saving gas for cold homes. School was cancelled too.

It was just a crazy winter week. Kind of fun to have such crazy stuff going on, and lucky that we were warm, but I did feel bad for all the cold people without working heaters. Things like that make us grateful for what we have, and inspire us to make sure we have enough wood to stay warm if we happen to be left with only our fireplace for heat!

Can't wait for spring!
20110202-IMG_3009
20110202-IMG_3008

4 comments:

Grampa Guy said...

little Sandman sure looks warm and toasty in that great sweater suit

K said...

It really was scary driving. I've never seen freeways so packed with snow - wait. No. I have seen it - but not often. And I remember that morning, the floor seeming awfully sold. I was so glad to leave you safe at home. And now I'm glad you can get gas and warm your little selves up. Bless you.

Still was fun, though.

Katie Gee said...

It was a crazy week! I'm glad you guys were safe and warm. I can't help but notice how perfect your rug is for car-vrooming! It's pretty AND playful.

Rachel said...

Can I just say, I love chevron cars? I realize this has nothing to do with this post other than Max is playing with them but...... I just love them! And would keep them as my own but... The Native's took them all.