
My sweet little Max had to go through a little bit of a school ordeal this week.
Evidently there were some problems with class sizes, and the 1st grade classes had to be slightly reorganized. (I've heard from other moms this happens often in this school--something having to do with enrollment numbers and etc.)
I was hoping that we would be safe, since there are so many 1st graders, and the likelihood of Max being chosen out of the mob seemed low. But of course, he got picked to move into a different class. Bummer. Extra bummer since the principal called and left me a message telling me about it at 7PM on friday night before labor day. So I had to go through the whole weekend mad, and couldn't get ahold of anybody to complain and explain that my poor little son has been moved around already more than any guy needs to be, and how I just wanted him to be able to stay in the same dang class where he was actually starting to make friends!
So I didn't talk to him about it over the weekend, really hoping I was going to be able to talk the school out of it and that he'd just be able to go to his normal class. But after a billion calls to the school and emails to the principal the only way to reach her was to attack her at her office as she arrived 10 minutes before school started.
There was nothing I could do--you know--there comes a point where unless you're going to be a super duper jerk you just have to deal with what comes.
So I had to go out in the parking lot and tell my little boy he was switching classes RIGHT THEN. I felt awful.
Luckily his new teacher is super nice, and after listening to my concerns she was very sympathetic. She came out to the parking lot with me and took him back to the classroom to show him around. He was pretty sad and bummed at first, but warmed up to her pretty quickly.
He seemed to do ok, but me? I didn't do so hot that day until I picked him up and saw he was ok.
He had a good day, and he's had a good week in the new class, though he definitely misses his old one.
I'm just proud of him--he's strong and resilient and fun and smart. He's a great kid and I'm so glad he's ours!!



6 comments:
SO frustrating! But, yes, you're exactly right. Kids are so much more resilient than adults I think. Glad he's adjusting well.
Me, too. Glad he yours. And I'm glad you're mine.
Oh! I hate things like that. When stuff like this happens, doesn't it feel like you just have the worst luck?! I'm proud of Max for taking it like a man! Sometimes I get so frustrated (like when other kids are mean to Derek or something lame like that) and am mad forever and Derek doesn't even remember 12 minutes later. Us moms just like to watch out for our little men!
That really sucks! I would have been pissed too. So glad Max is dealing well with it
That really sucks! I would have been pissed too. So glad Max is dealing well with it
Max is such a little sweetheart! I guess we have to remember that kids are much more resilient than we are and he is obviously good at adapting...but it will be nice for him to start feeling settled!
Post a Comment