Wednesday, September 22, 2010

::holbrook az::

This last weekend we took a drive to Phoenix. Kris had an orthodontics course to attend, and Max and I had some swimming, shopping and resting to do.

I don't really have many photos from Phoenix, it was TOO HOT for me to even think, but we had lots of fun. I'll have to post about it later.

But on the way to Phoenix we drove through the coolest little town on Route 66.
Holbrook AZ. I think it's the town Lightening McQueen's Radiator Springs was based on!
Check out the wigwam hotel:
20100916-IMG_0546
Have you stayed in a wigwam lately?
20100916-IMG_0545
Does it remind you a bit of the Kozy Kone motel?
And to make it even better, there was an awesome old car parked outside of every wigwam. Including a very authentic Mater which Kris drove by too fast for me to get a picture of.
20100916-IMG_0548
20100916-IMG_0550

And this muffler shop fit right in as far as I'm concerned. It's just so cool and vintage looking, don't you think?
20100916-IMG_0551
And Ramone was there too, complete with his awesome paint job.
20100916-IMG_0552
But I'm not sure who took off with his wheels.

I have no idea where the dinosaurs fit in all this, but they were there too, and they were awesome.
20100916-IMG_0555
20100916-IMG_0556
This is all we saw driving through the town quickly--bad pictures, bad lighting and all. I'm guessing there are probably more hidden gems in this little town. We'll probably have the opportunity to check them out at some point. I'll keep you posted.
Oh, and we stopped for lunch at DQ on the way home in Holbrook. Go there if you want a little vintage atmosphere, but not if you're in a hurry. It was still delicious though.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

I love little towns like that! Especially the wigwams. Awesome.

Grampa Guy said...

very reminiscent of the drive from LA to SLC in the fifites-sixites, before the interstate bypassed it all...

Love you

Dad

Vhari said...

Ginna,

I finally found your blog again and I wanted to tell you how much I love your pictures and I'm so excited for the baby that's coming soon! Congrats!

K said...

Just like your dad said. SO our childhood. But I have to know - could you actually STAY in the wigwams????? Please?????? I bet this was exactly the prototype for the movie - they had to have gotten the idea somewhere, yes? Unless the wigwams are new (and they do look suspiciously new).

Glad you had a good time. Sorry it was hot - (hey- it's Phoenix). MOST glad you are home safe. (I really feel for that poor snake in the one guy's mouth.)

Kristen Wilde said...

Awesome!

Murphy said...

Oh man, I was watching this movie last night, and it's awesome. SO BEAUTIFUL!
They really did a great job didn't they?