Sunday, July 12, 2009

::parade attire::

When we were at the parade on the fourth we noticed lots of patriotic attire. So much so in fact, that I started feeling the need for a photo study. If I only had a zoom lens I would've been able to get a lot more, but as it is, I got a lot of interesting material. It's the people that feel like they need to wear flags as pants that I think are a little nutty.
20090704-IMG_1919

20090704-IMG_1973

20090704-IMG_1978
Is it really respectful to be sitting on the flag? I'm just not sure.

Then we have the girl who thinks she's super hot--so much so that her little flag "top" shows so much of her top that I didn't want to put her front on my blog. I'm surprised somebody who thinks they're so cool dresses like a flag at all.
20090704-IMG_1909

And then the old men in their many and varied flaggy americana shirts.
20090704-IMG_1916

20090704-IMG_1938

20090704-IMG_1915
That last one can make you a little nauseous if you look at it for too long.

Then you have the people that go for a little of everything. Flag shirts, flags, flag hats, stars and stripes everywhere. At least most of them are kids. Well, some of them.
20090704-IMG_1927

And last, we have the matching couple in their red white and blue tie die. They get points for at least being original. They lose points for not wearing more shorts though.
20090704-IMG_1984

Next time I think I'm going to have to do a study on New Englanders that think it's patriotic to wear a Red Sox shirt on the fourth of July. That's a whole nother story.

4 comments:

K said...

I do like neat lines in red, whit and blue. If it weren't for the sitting on part, I'd kinda like some of the flag shorts. I like wearing red shirts and blue shorts with white trim here and there. I think the whole flag thing has energy. You didn't address the people who might, like the Brits seems to like to do, wear patriotic underwear. But then, you'd probably need a new filter for that?

Rachel said...

Oh Nellie you've hit on a sore spot for my family. For family members who have fought for our country, disrespecting the flag by wearing it.....ya just don't go there!

It is a toughy though. We grew up in a generation that said, "if you wear the flag you are showing patriotism".

I'll never forget the day my baby sis in her teenage rebellious years bought a flag bikini! A) bikini.....and B) the flag

You think you know what fireworks are......nothing like when my parents found that little diddy. OY!

Megan said...

I love this patriotic attire study you did. It reminds me of the pictures I used to take on my mission everytime I saw a "bus girlfriend." I thought it was so hilarious that if your hungarian boyfriend was a bus driver, that meant that you got to ride around all day standing up next to him.

This also reminded me that as a kid I used to plan out my parade outfit to make sure I had RED WHITE AND BLUE. This year I wore yellow. Not sure why.

trout said...

Ginna and Kris,
It's Blake. I don't believe I have a current phone number for you. Kris, will you ring me when you get a chance? 619 988 0557.