Monday, December 22, 2008

::so much snow::

I think we ended up getting around 10 inches, probably more.
20081220-IMG_8507.JPG
This photo was taken saturday morning--it snowed pretty much the rest of the day saturday, then most of sunday as well.
We had a church snowday on sunday. The streets around our building aren't great, so with all the snow the bishop decided to just cancel. The snow was so beautiful, especially since we didn't have to go anywhere in it unless we wanted to.

On saturday morning we went on a sledding outing with friends from Kris's work. It was so snowy, and it was FREEZING. One of the dentists had told the guys about a great hill, so we headed out that direction. Of course it was really hard to find. But we finally got there. The hill was huge, and super snowy. It was really tough to get up, and none of the little kids could really do it on their own, so we had to carry them. My feet started to freeze.

My friend Bonnie took a pretty funny video of Max and her son Vincent going down the hill together. Vincent I think is about a year and a half younger than Max, and this was most likely his first time sledding. He didn't like this trip much. Check it out. You can kind of see how huge the hill is on this video. And it's hilarious how the dads run (and sled) to the rescue as soon as the boys wipe out.

(Thanks Bonnie!)

I don't have any photos of the sledding because I didn't want to haul my big camera out on the hike up the hill. But I do have a few from when we got back to the car. Max only ended up going down the hill about four times. That was about as many times Kris could carry him back up the hill without getting a hernia or something.
The last time Max decided he wanted to go on his own--on his stomach no less. The snow was super powdery, and so as he went his sled kept kicking tons of snow right in his face. By the time he got to the bottom he was like a snowman, and he was NOT happy. That was the last run for us and we headed back to the car.
Where of course I had the camera and took some pictures.
The boys made some snow angels.
20081220-IMG_8511.JPG

20081220-IMG_8513.JPG

Max really didn't want me taking his picture. He said he had a "red face", which I think was in reference to his crying. Anyway, he was cool with throwing snowballs, but when I tried to take a picture of just him being cute he freaked out.
20081220-IMG_8516.JPG

20081220-IMG_8518.JPG
Making snowballs!
20081220-IMG_8519.JPG

20081220-IMG_8520.JPG
It was so powdery that it was tough to throw. And Max isn't that great of a thrower anyway.
20081220-IMG_8528.JPG

20081220-IMG_8532.JPG

20081220-IMG_8533.JPG

And here's the freakout:
20081220-IMG_8534.JPG
I mean, his face was definitely red. From the cold and the crying. But it was just hilarious how self conscious he was about it.
I had to sneak a photo of him in the car, I couldn't help it.
20081220-IMG_8535.JPG
Sledding is fun, as long as my feet don't get too cold.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that last pic- haha. Cute hat by the way!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you really did get big snow. Kind of two extremes of weather in the last two weeks for you guys.
The snow angels look fun, and it seems like the boys have got good snow gear.
We've got big snow here too---the most I remember in the last few years.

love you all

Dad

K said...

I always thought that snow was so romantic, and I dreamed of owning a sled when I was a kid in LA. Then we got to Missouri and sure enough, I got a sled for Christmas, one of those real ones - wood with metal runners. I really, really tried to have fun with it. But the runners sank in the powder and you couldn't steer it, and it was heavy to pull back up the hill. Not only that, but snow got into your galoshes and packed all around your feet and froze them, and your face got all red and chapped and sliding wasn't that fun anyway.

Maybe that's when I gave up on romance.

Your shots are great - what a wonderful thing a bright yellow coat is against the snow. Max will live through himself, somehow. And so will you. Did I ever tell you you have a great eye?

Melissa Abby said...

Max is such a goofball! I could watch that video over and over again!

Rachel said...

Brennan went through fits like that where he didn't want me to video him or take pictures of him. Crazy goof balls!

Brian took our boys and Kirsten sledding on Saturday too! They had a blast and all came in with very red faces just like Frazz's.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorena said...

We have had some snow, but compared to you you guys it's nothing. It looks like you guys were having so much fun. I had a friend in Ohio and some times they wouls have snow up to the top of their house. So they would sled off of their roof! I wonder if you guys will get that much snow?