Friday, June 27, 2008

::NYC day 5::

Shopping in Manhattan....
Turns out Kris had the day off tuesday--but he didn't find out until he'd already headed over to the hospital. It was happy news when he called us and told us he was on his way home.
Once I got Max to get dressed, which took until about 10AM we headed out to Manhattan to do some shopping.
When Kris was interviewing for this program he had somehow found a camping store in the middle of the financial district. He wanted to head back there and see if they had a good coat for him. So we went. This store turned out to be very much the wrong place for Max. It was packed to the gills with stuff, and very narrow and claustrophobic. The kind of obstinate attitude he started out the morning with stayed with him, unfortunately, and he ended up throwing a couple of pretty immense fits in the middle of the store--then out on the steps of the store, which was very entertaining to passers-by, but really embarrassing for me.
The first one was because I wouldn't let him pull all the coats down on his head, and the second was because I wouldn't let him turn the spinning cabinet with the watches in it so fast that it fell over. I'm so mean, right?
We finally got done there, Kris found a great deal on a good coat and we headed to lunch. At lunch Max promised he'd be better. But you know, when the day starts out like that, everybody's a little peeved.
But he did try harder after that.
We were supposed to meet up with some people from the program for cupcakes after lunch, but that didn't work out, so we just went and got cupcakes on our own, and carried them out hoping to eat them somewhere in central park.

Unfortunately for us, the rain started just about then. We ran for some scaffolding, along with half the city and tried to wait it out. But it just kept on going. We watched some poor man try to hail a cab for about 20 minutes straight with no success. Max was very interested, and kept wondering why the cash cab didn't stop. After that Max kept practicing his cab hailing hand movements. It was really funny.
We ate our cupcakes while we were sitting on the curb. When the rain finally let up a bit we ran for the subway and headed downtown towards Rockefeller Center.
It was interesting to see the difference between the subway station there in Rockefeller Center versus the rest of the city. It was a really big difference. Much nicer there, much cruddier everywhere else. Hmmm, I wonder if they care about impressing tourists and such?
Anyway, we just went down there so we could go to FAO Schwarz. Well, with a stop at H&M along the way where I picked up a couple of great shirts.

Max was delighted with FAO Schwartz.
He was super excited when he found this huge playmobil guy.
20080624-IMG_5333.JPG

20080624-IMG_5336.JPG

20080624-IMG_5335.JPG
But of course he didn't want to stay in the playmobil section too long, because what if he missed something somewhere else? He ran from thing to thing to thing. Just how he likes it.
We found the big piano and he got to try it. He loved it of course.
20080624-IMG_5338.JPG

20080624-IMG_5339.JPG
I'm just really sad the below picture isn't in better focus. Can you see that he's leaping? Both his feet are off the ground. It's so cute.
20080624-IMG_5340.JPG
Getting him out of the store was QUITE the difficult task, but we finally dragged him out, kicking and screaming.
Kris and I were both exhausted, so we headed back to our place by way of 5 Guys Burgers of course, and put Max to bed.
Sometimes that's just the best part of the day.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Did you go to the Apple store next door?

Amanda D said...

It all sounds like so much fun! I have never been to NYC. Someday... You are right that bedtime is the best time of day sometimes!

I love all the pics. Keep em coming!

Kathy said...

Finally I get a minute to look seriously at the blog. I have been so busy with my family here that I didn't get to everything. Love all the fun pictures and getting to hear all about your days. It sounds really fun but tiring of course. I bet you are glad to back home for a few days and not have to chase Max. Give him our loves and kisses.

Rachel said...

You are making me want to go and visit New York!

Tiffany said...

How fun! I love reading about your adventures! Wish I was there too!

carie said...

cool!

Hey, we discovered River Market today. It was so cool, we forgot we were living in KC for about 5 minutes.
Even the air felt like there was a refreshing ocean breeze.

K said...

Here's a funny thing - just the other night - night before last (this is Sat), we watched "Big" for the first time in decades - and featured in the movie is:
THE BIG PIANO.

How weird, right? I should have looked at this yesterday, but life is just bedlam anymore, and I didn't. But I am gratified to see the flying feet of the Fraz, making music in FAO Schwartz!!!!

By the way - all of this weariness you feel? It'll pass - in two decades, ypu'll feel SO much better.

Laura said...

Oh my gosh!! Please tell me, were they MAGNOLIA cupcakes?! (Like in Lazy Sunday?) And are they as fantastically good as the rumors say?