I really wanted to go to the ward that meets in Manhattan where the temple is. But of course that meeting place is closed for renovation this summer. So I found another ward and Max and I made our way to it sunday morning. It was in a nice area of Brooklyn and was a nice friendly good sized ward. We were pretty late because of slow subway trains. I think we would've been fine if our first train hadn't taken 20 minutes to show up. Max and I are getting good at finding places here. Well to be honest, we're getting really good at asking directions. We got ourselves to the building with no trouble at all.
Somehow I talked Max into going to primary, which has been hard the last few weeks because we've been traveling so much. It was nice to get to go to class and to relief society for the first time in forever. Having a break from primary has been a little refreshing. Everyone was very friendly to us and they were all bummed we weren't moving in of course.
After church we met up with Kris. He unfortunately was stuck doing training all morning and half of the afternoon. Luckily he got done a little early, so we got together with a bunch of the other new residents and headed up to central park.
Max was really excited to get out after being stuck holding our hands or being carried for the past several days.
Here he goes.

We hadn't been smart enough to change him out of his church clothes, so he was wearing his long pants and niceish shoes. We found out that a bunch of the play stuff at the park has "water features" so he had to go around with wet feet the rest of the afternoon. I think he thought it was worth it though.
The park was beautiful and the views were really cool.

Did you know there are big rocks in the park where people hang out?

I didn't. But now I do!

Kris almost fell down the rock after this picture chasing Max. Not the first max-chasing related injury that's happened!
Max had a great time at the playground. It was very "New York" to me, all concrete and iron bars.

We could hardly keep up with him.


We finally dragged him away from the playground when he found a huge pool of water to dunk his feet in.
He was bummed so we took him over for a ride on the carousel.
It was really fun and old looking, and it had the old calliope playing music. You don't hear those very often. We had a good ride.


After the carousel we wanted to walk over and find the zoo, but it started to rain. And it kept raining, and kept raining! Luckily Kris had bought a $2 umbrella somewhere, so it kept me dry. Max was riding on Kris's shoulders, so Max kept him dry until we realized what was happening. We waited under the trees for a while until we realized that the rain wasn't going to stop anytime soon. We ran for the subway stop and only got a little bit soaked.
It was a fun day. Max still didn't go to sleep until like 10, but we're working on that!



My silly boys.



9 comments:
Kris looks so happy. I guess graduated really does him good.
Haven't you seen that movie, Made in Manhatten? they have a scene on those big rocks in C.P...
I knew about the rock. But only because I'd seen it in a movie. I never did get to Central Park. New York was always a quick visit - to go to the theater, to buy something - never a wandering place for me. In fact, the park scares me. And isn't that sad? But look at you all. Look how beautiful you are.
I love Central Park. After Memorial Day, all the parks seem to have some sort of water for the kids. But the big water park is really awesome. Go again and have fun. Were you at the "pyramid park" next to the Met?
You know what I love about your blog, Ginna? (well, one of the things...) All the pictures! It's reading a picture-story book of your life!
And that's neat.
I second Laura's comment. Beautiful pictures!
It looks like your having a good time in the big city. I wish that I were there to see Les Paul in action with you and Kris. I guess I'll have to wait but not too long because he's already 92. By the way, I finally posted a couple of blogs myself.
thanks Laura & Rob! I appreciate those comments since I really feel like this is more of a "photo blog" than anything else--with a few words thrown in here and there.
Leslie, we were down at the south end of the park, kind of near FAO Schwartz and 5th Ave. I think.
Wow! It looks like you are having SO much fun. What a neat experience. I'm glad you are able to take advantage of this great opportunity. Thanks for sharing!
It was great that you got to go to church, it's fun to drop in a a new ward now and then. The pictures that you took in the park all looked familiar, from movies and TV. I need to get out more!
Post a Comment