Friday, June 20, 2008

::NYC day 1::

Oh what a day!
Kris had an appointment for a physical in Brooklyn this morning at 11AM, so we got up early and left the house with all our stuff by 7AM. By 10:30 AM we were driving into the big city on the freeway. It was a crazy view!
Check it out.
NYC 1
Do you see the little airplane flying along there? And all the smoggyness?
I think this was before the traffic really got nuts. As we got into the city the driving got more and more crazy. I was really glad Kris was the one driving and not me. He still got honked at a billion times. They would've been totally laying on the horn for me!
NYC 2
It's cool view, huh?

The physical went well, and we ran into one of the other residents who's starting in Kris's program. It was fun for me to get to meet her. We drove her around a little bit and got her to her hotel.
Max was good for me during all the hospital stuff. I got some treats from the vending machine and we played a little game where I had to quiz him on something (usually like spelling or addition) and when he got it right he'd get a treat. Luckily it helped the treats to strech a good long time.

After we rested up in our hotel a bit we ventured out to Manhattan to check out Times Square. Max was really good on the subway ride out there. I think the trains made him nervous. I'm sure that will wear off a lot sooner than I'd like it to.
I've never been to Times Square before. It was pretty incredible. It was a very intimidating feeling to walk up into all the huge buildings with all the huge billboards and stuff. There were several helicopters just hanging over the top of us. It was weird and I felt like a dumb tourist with my mouth hanging open.
20080620-IMG_5237.JPG
Busy view, huh?
times square 1
I think it was a little much for Max to take in, but he seemed to think it was interesting. His favorite thing was this person in a big duck suit. I'm not sure why it was there, but Max was delighted and hugged the guy for quite a while. I'm scared of people in suits like that.
times square 2

20080620-IMG_5238.JPG
Who know that Hershey's has a huge store that looks like something from Disneyland out here. Weird.

Max keeps seeing the cash cab everywhere. Every single van cab we saw out there he was like "OH!!!! The CASH CAB!!" And as you might imagine, there were a lot of those cabs.
Could this one have been the one? Who knows....
could it be the cash cab???

After we found Max a bathroom somewhere (he only ever admits he has to go at the most inconvenient times) we went to get a jamba juice. He couldn't get it all drunk there because it kept giving him a brain freeze, so we headed back to the subway to go back to the hotel. Not the smartest idea to take a jamba juice and a four year old on the subway? Yeah...Um. There were no seats for us, so we had to stand the whole time. And yeah, when Kris picked up Max at one point he ended up kicking the cup of juice out of my hand onto an unhappy man's shoe. The man was nice enough, luckily, but definitely unhappy about having a fruity workboot. It was really embarrassing. But worse than that, we still had quite a few stops to go when that happened, and we were stuck standing right by that man, over the puddle of goo the whole time. And I had to hold the dripping cup. It would've been a little better if Max hadn't decided to skate in the mess as well.

We were glad to get off the train.

Hopefully that's our bad luck for the week and all will go better. We'll see how it goes tomorrow with just Max and I. Do wish me luck, ok?
20080620-IMG_5247.JPG

20080620-20080620-IMG_5249-2.jpg

20080620-IMG_5246.JPG

20080620-20080620-IMG_5250-2.jpg

5 comments:

Nancy said...

That last picture of Max is one of my ALL time favorites. I'm very proud of you and your camera and NYC. Keep having fun! You should take Max to the top of the Empire State Building.

carie said...

aw you just keep driving that jealousy knife deeper and deeper. I am surprised you guys made it in time for his appointment. We usually hit traffic in the Bronx area for hours, well that was when we drove into manhatten, I am not sure about brooklyn.

Now I really have to come visit.

Kathy said...

I finally have time to look at the blog after all the excitement of the wedding etc and family party. I love all the neat pictures. There is just nothing like NYC. I think it is an awesome place to visit. I amm proud of you for getting out with Max all on your own. Very brave but fun for you and him. Seeing those adorable pictures of Max made me want to cry cause I miss him so much. So glad he got to see the CASH CAB. What else could make him so happy other than a Robie the Robot. Love you all and hope you continue to have such great fun. How is the training Kirs? Is it fun too?

Can't wait to come and visit the beach with you. It really is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Gin
We are missing you guys in the middle of missing the M. Now that all events are passed, the quiet sets in. Be careful out there among them English

Love you guys

Dad

K said...

Let's see. The first time I went in to New York, it was with our MIA class to see "Man of LaMancha" in the Village. We were pretty much almost assaulted on the train by some skinny alcoholic bums.

The next time, we wandered down to Greenwich village and got followed by a couple of big scary black guys "Hey baby - "

Then we went in (by "we" I don't mean me and my folks. But I don't remember who I went with-) to see a taping of "The Match Game." It was the day before the St. Pat's parade, and we were carrying these sick green carnations. And I had side pony tails. And we saw hari Krishna guys at St. Mark's square.

Then we ran into my English teacher who was evidently working a second job at Azuma and Surprise!! (not really a surprise) turned out to be wearing pierced earrings (we'd never noticed the holes in his ears before, but certainly had sensed a certain hole in his brain) and wearing his sweat shirt inside out. Which was supposed to be kind of counter culture. We did not think he was cool.

Ah, THE city. Always an adventure . . .