While we were in St. George we decided to take a drive out to Flagstaff Arizona to see what it was like. We'd heard that it has four seasons, which we like and was high up in the mountains, and we like mountains. And since we're only a short two years away from actually deciding where we want to be, we are trying to check out some of the places in the west we might be interested in.
So anyway, we headed out for an overnight visit to Flagstaff. It was a very interesting drive. First we went through Zion's, which of course is incredible looking.

I love how even the road is red.

Then we drove out through the Navajo reservation and saw some more really amazing landscape. The desert red rocks and mesas and stuff are so striking. Its hard to take pictures of some of that stuff--it's almost too much for a camera to take in.
We got to our hotel in Flagstaff and then decided we'd like to go on a hike. There's a famous old volcano crater just outside the city, so we went over there.
I wore the wrong shoes.

But I was tough, so I survived. Don't look too close at my dorky toes please.
It wasn't a tough hike, but it was very cool looking out there.
There were piles of the old lava rock everywhere.

The crater itself was a very cool color--which is probably why they call it "sunset crater"

Max wore himself out running way ahead of us, and finally just had to be carried most of the way.

Little did we know that he had the stomach flu and would wake up the next morning and throw up all day. Good thing we didn't know.


We couldn't really figure out what his deal was. Oh well.

He made up a song while he was riding on Kris's shoulders that went "LaVA, we're gonna DO it ALL DAY" and sang it over and over and over, very loudly the whole way. It was funny.

After the hike. All that shoulder riding must've been very dehydrating.
After our hike we went and had dinner (good yummy mexican food) and went to bed, planning to take a good look at the city in the morning. Then as you already know, Max decided to throw up. All morning. When he finally stopped throwing up for more than about 15 minutes we quickly threw him in the car and hurried away. We drove through the city a little bit, but after he threw up in the car we decided it was time to head back. So I don't even have any good pictures of Flagstaff. We liked it though. It was small and kind of interesting with lots of pretty trees. I do have a tree picture.

Just imagine a city where most of the buildings are hidden behind trees like this. That's the jist of Flagstaff. Or at least that's our impression after spending about 12 hours there.
We had to skip the grand canyon on the way back, but we made it to St. George without any more big problems, luckily.
Doesn't it seem like little kids always get sick on trips? And always at such inconvenient times? Remember what happened to me at Disney World?!?......Blah



9 comments:
I love Flagstaff! We've had 2 family reunions at Sunset Crater! We love it there!
Ginna!
First of all, it was great to meet you finally and I'm getting really excited that I can finally comment on your blog!
Second: I love the pictures. Especially of exhausted on the bench and trying to get a drink of water. :) (He's still cuter in person, though.)
Third: what DID happen in Disney World? I'm sure it's not a shock to know that...I don't remember.
Hi Laura! I'm so glad to have gotten to meet you too. I'm sorry we couldn't have talked more on sunday. Hopefully we'll get another opportunity sometime!
I meant to put a link to my disneyworld post at the end of this one--I just fixed it and put it in. So if you want to read it you can. It's kind of long though. Basically Max got the stomach flu. We were only there for about 5 days I think and he was pretty violently sick for about three and a half of those days. SUCH a bummer!
We went camping last year and my youngest was acting strange all weekend, sleeping a lot, not eating much, etc. We thought it was weird but continued in our camping fun. The night we came home, I put him in bed and then checked on him and his ear drum had exploded. There was green goo everywhere. I felt so guilty that it never crossed my mind that his ears might hurt.
Your pictures are beautiful! I love Zions as well. It is so peaceful there. How did you do that to the tree photo? It is neat.
I hope Max wasn't sick too long!
Gorgeous image work - as usual (as in no surprise there). I can beat your story (is Brian Regan listening?) there was the time when we hiked all the way up TIMP to the cave, and on the way down, Chaz, who was about exactly three, suddenly manifested an extreme and extremely gross case of diarrhea. Legs, socks, shoes - vile, terrible, awful. She was very cheerful. I was not. Your paternal grandfather was a tiny bit encouraging - if helpless, and when we got down to the bottom, your grandmother generously offered to hold my camera while I spent 45 minutes in the public restroom, trying to scour everything Chaz had been wearing.
Hell. Sometimes little children give us such insight into the risks of a bad afterlife.
Amanda,
I was behind some other trees when I shot that tree, so it turned out to be kind of a natural framing situation.
Mom, luckily there was no throwing up on the hike. YUCK. Poor you.
Hey you guys! We'd LOVE to meet up with you in New York!! Email us at filupyoung@hotmail.com and we'll set something up. We love your blog!! Max sure seems like a good sport with all the traveling. =)
I swear Ginna, your toes are so Dorky!
I like your old truck pictures on your title. It reminds me of a movie about some guy who visits Utah and everyone is a HUGE hick. Have you seen it?
Ginna,
Flagstaff is...interesting. It's a nice area, and due to the railroad tracks, it's got a completely mental layout. Nevertheless, a nice town with a fabu Mexican joint - Tamale Pot. Just off US 89 in the ghetto old motel part of town.
Post a Comment