Thursday, June 12, 2008

.::How often can we change our minds??::.

Kris drove our white land rover out to UT before the big move. He took Sultan and the car out there so they could wait for us while we got everything else to RI. The plan was for him to drive the car and the dog back for his training in New York (he has to be in Brooklyn for about three weeks) and I would hang out in UT so I wouldn't have to stay at home alone in a new place for an entire month with a four year old.

Then we found out that his first training day is just one day. Then there's close to a week of nothing between that day and the next week of training. So we changed our plans and decided to fly him out to NYC for that one day. Then the plan was for all of us to drive back east together. I realized that I could visit Kris in NYC and I have friends I'm excited to hang out with in Providence. We would've had about 5 days to do the drive. It wouldn't have been too fun and exciting, but it would've worked. THEN we found out he actually has to be in NYC 24 hrs earlier than we thought for some sort of appointment. Not cool. He was flying back to UT sunday night late, then we would only have from monday morning to friday morning to get all of us to Providence and then him back to NYC. By 9AM friday morning of course. Is this making you tired yet?

So we figured we could do that. Until we really thought about it. When we really thought about it we decided that the drive would be horrible, and there was no way we could make it there in time. We also thought about it and decided that we could live as a one car family in Providence. We live in such a walkable area of town that hopefully it will work.

So we made up our minds, left the white car out on Kris's Grandparents' farm in Delta UT under a tarp and bought ourselves one way tickets.

But what about the dog? Well he's flying too. I guess Continental has some sort of special pet travel program, so he should do great. He'd better, it's expensive enough! But really overall we're saving money flying rather than driving. With gas as expensive as it is and the white car getting such great (ie awful) mileage we're much better off without it for a while.
Sultan had to practice in the carrier the other day.
20080609-IMG_5174.JPG
I think he's going to do ok. He's not scared of the carrier right now. He may be after a 7 hr flight with a connection in New Jersey, but hopefully he'll be ok. He's such a great traveler in the car, hopefully that'll carry over.
20080609-IMG_5173.JPG
I'm just glad we get to bring him home with us. I would've been bummed to have to leave him. Although I know my parents wouldn't mind!
20080609-IMG_5172.JPG
This plan will be much better for us overall I think. Kris and I ran an errand with Max yesterday. When we got home we looked at each other and said "boy aren't we glad we don't have to do that for four solid days next week!!!!"

4 comments:

carie said...

sounds like a good! I can't wait to see you today, in utah - not kc or RI.

Amanda D said...

Do they give the dog anything to make him sleep or anything? I'm glad that I am not a dog! I wouldn't want to be in that little space for that long...although I guess the seat you get in an airplane isn't that much bigger.

Good luck with the training! And enjoy the rest of your trip.

Rachel said...

You know, you could put both Max and Sultan in that there carrier thingy and drug em both! :o)

Tiffany said...

Glad you got everything figured out! I know you've had about a million plans trying to get everyone and everything in the right place at the right time!