Friday, April 11, 2008

::Patches::

Kris is a collector. Many of you may not know this.
Kris collects patches.
20080406-IMG_4117.JPG
Patches like the kind you might put on a scout shirt, or a backpack or something. You know what I'm talking about?
20080406-IMG_4118.JPG
He has quite a few. Several years ago I sewed some of them onto some our camping backpacks, and I put a few on some of Kris's coats. Sewing those on was hard work. Tough on the fingers. Any of you moms that had little scouts back in the day when patches had to be sewn on know what I'm talking about.
Some of those patches I had sewed on were starting to come off I guess, so on sunday Kris broke out the collection to get some replacements and shake things up a bit.20080406-20080406-IMG_4121-2.jpg
Max thought it was pretty cool.
Kris offered to sew a cool patch on Max's denim jacket. Of course the only patch Max wanted was a "dog patch"--no dog patch to be found in the collection.
20080406-20080406-IMG_4120-2.jpg
But that's ok. It took some time for them to talk the options over, but they finally decided on something.
20080406-20080406-IMG_4122-2.jpg
20080406-20080406-IMG_4123-2.jpg
Kris spent a lot of time sewing patches on that afternoon. He was like "this is HARD!"
20080406-20080406-IMG_4128-2.jpg
And he hurt his fingers. And he stabbed himself pretty deep in one of his fingers. Poor thing!
20080406-20080406-IMG_4129-2.jpg
This is a good example of a Kris concentration face. He worked hard.
He got Max's Buick patch sewed on to the jacket. Such a nice daddy, don't you think?
Max was thrilled.
20080406-20080406-IMG_4127-2.jpg
So thrilled that you can't even see the patch in this picture because he's hugging it so hard.
Here's a shot of him the next day, being ultra cool eating a cookie. You can sort of see the patch there on his right shoulder.
20080407-20080407-IMG_4186-2.jpg
He wouldn't take the jacket off for like three days. Then it got really dirty and I had to put it in the laundry. Hopefully the sewing job survives the wash.... we'll see!

10 comments:

Amanda D said...

What a great collection! My kids have decided that they should start collecting something. My oldest has decided on pencils. He has about a billion and constantly takes them so I can't find a pencil in the house...

Kathy said...

That looks so fun and I love all the patches but I don´t like sewing them on either. Well we made it to Cancun and we are having a fun time. We have not been able to access our email yet so we were able to get to the blog sites so we are sending you a message here. We are fine althought our plane left 2 hours late from SLC and we had to sit on the plane the whole time. So it was a very lñong day but alñl is well now. Hope you are all well and pass this along to Kari and Kelly to since we don´t have time to comment on everyones. Thanks. Love mom and dad

Murphy said...

Oh man I love it! I was just thinking today how I want to sew some of my patches on my own jacket. Tough doing.
Good mom!
Good Dad!

carie said...

I suggest you invest in a little dollar item, called a thimble.

Not to start collecting, but to make your patch sewing jobs a LOT easier.

Vhari said...

This is sort of off topic, but all of your pictures have such amazing lighting and composition. You are such a good photographer.

K said...

Don't tell him he could have done it on the machine. That's how I ended up doing all of the sash and shoulder patches from scouting. He could also have used steam a seam to fasten it on with an iron, and that would require only a little anchor sewing.

We just got back from the MAF retreat. Tired but fired up.

Anonymous said...

I would say that having a Buick patch is ultra cool in and of itself.

Dad

{Erica} said...

Bret totally has a patch collection as well...you should see his college years back pack! every time we go on a trip we buy a patch from there...I think I just might have to send Kris one from Tahiti?

Kathy said...

How did the boards go Kris? We can´t email yet so I am anxious to know if you survived. Hope all is well. We are ahving a fun time and enjoying the sun. Not too much sunburn yet which is good. We played tennis for my first time with the granges. It was fun even though Içm not good at it. We love you all.

Carly said...

How do you take such nice pictures? What kind of camera do you use? And I think Max is the coolest and cutest kid I've ever seen since the birth of Holden. Too bad we can't get them together!