Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Halloween retrospective for Halloween night

I hope everyone is having a great Halloween. We just got Max tucked into bed, finally and I'll give a report on how our evening went tomorrow. For now I just want to revel in past halloweeny memories. I don't have any past pictures of Kris's family on Halloween scanned right now, so this is a little limited. I'll do better next year for sure.
To start with:
Max's first Halloween in 2004. He was a bear and so adorable and happy. No complaining about the costume or the nose and whiskers (it helped that the costume was his PJs).
Max's second Halloween. He did NOT want to wear his costume and had no problem letting us know.
This picture doesn't really count because we took in at the very beginning of October. For Max's third Halloween Kathy came out and help me (like I said before, helped me means did it for me) make an awesome cape for Max. He wore it the day we finished it and never again. You would've thought we were trying to cut his fingers off or something when we tried to make him wear it on Halloween. It was a bust. Oh well.

This year.....you'll just have to wait and see how it went!

And now for a step back in time:

I'm not sure what year this was--maybe 1991. Anyway, I was so proud of this costume, and I felt so cool. I was a Vulcan from Star Trek. I went to the "beauty supply" shop in the mall and bought ear putty (or was it called nose putty?) and made pointy ears for myself and Char. I covered up my real eyebrows with concealer and powder and drew new angled ones on. And to top the whole outfit off I cross stiched a Star Trek emblem and sewed that onto my sweat shirt. Which sweat shirt I later wore regularly to middle school.
That was a cool halloween. Oh yeah, and please note the moon boots.
See, I'm usually something boring for Halloween, like here I'm a hippie. That doesn't take much. Charlotte on the other hand is always something extreme and/or cool. Here she's a crazy dragon with wings she made herself. Murphy is wearing a cape that we were dressing up in since I was tiny. How many different Halloweens has that cape seen? It was reversible, which made it extra cool.
This looks to me like 1990. I think Cammon was a pirate for about 90% of the Halloweens growing up. It's just what he was. And please notice that the shirt he's wearing in this picture is the same shirt he was wearing in 1991. It's another old dress up staple that we used all the time. What a great shirt. I wonder where it came from? Here again Charlotte is looking awesome as a crazy indian in loin cloth and light blue sweats. Mom always made us wear sweats under or with our costumes, which I finally understand now being a parent. I was a gypsy or something this time. I usually don't care what I am for Halloween as long as I'm pretty. Usually it doesn't work out and I end up less pretty than I like, but this year I think I pulled off pretty.

In conclusion, Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I think a lot of that is thanks to my mom and dad who made it really fun--with the ghost on the front porch with the crazy voice and all the fun decorations and everything--I hope we can keep up the tradition in our house and make Halloweens as fun and magical for our kids as they were for the Randle kids.
Can't wait to hear about how your night went!

8 comments:

Kari said...

Love the pictures :) I can't wait to see Maxs costume and hear how the night went. Parker loved halloween this year so it was really fun!

Sparklebot said...

Isn't Halloween the best? I love looking back at old Halloween pictures of my brothers and me.

{Erica} said...

WOW!! Those are some pretty nifty pictures...so funny to see what you all were back then! I always have to laugh at Cammon... :)

Tiffany said...

Awesome pics! I loved going back on time...gotta love the moon boots! Can't wait to hear how Halloween went!!

K said...

Wow. Your marquee pictures are really knocking me out. I tried to take pictures yesterday, but they were kind of less than I wanted. I always wanted to be pretty too, and never, ever once was. Funny, I thought last night - I love October, and I love the season leading up to halloween. But when the day comes, I just want it to be over - cold, worried, tired and ghost-talking/door getting. But the leaves, you kids, the warm light from the jack'o'lanterns - I do love those. And I love the memories. And and you. I love you.

Murphy said...

Awesome Gin! I always liked sitting in your lap. You were a sweet older sis. doin' my math for me and stuff ;)
Don't worry, I'm not too damaged.

Megan said...

Those pictures were so awesome. I totally remember it...we'd come get you guys every year and listen to your dad with the spooky ghost in the doorway. I love that we always went together even when Joel got in middle school and thought he was too grown up and busy, I knew you, cam, char, and miff would be ready and willing to go. I think I still went with Char and Murphert until I was 17. I just skipped pres. morrise's house then cause I knew all I'd get would be a For the Strength of Youth pamphlet (and I already had those.) Love you!

Kari said...

I want the new pictures!!!!