Monday, October 08, 2007

Big B, Little b, what begins with B?



Time for another installment of the alphabet, better know as What Max Learned at School.
We're a little behind because of traveling, but bear with us if you can while we try to catch up.
Max had two weeks of learning about Buh-the sound of letter B. At his school they don't talk about letters by their names, but by their sounds.
So, it was all about the buhs.
Here is a picture of the board at school. Click to see a larger image. It's covered with Buh things. I especially like the buh-buh-beard and the buh-buh-bug, which actually I was just told by Max is a beetle! Wow, I obviously haven't been to preschool in a while.



Sometimes it's a little embarrassing because I can't always identify everything on the board. Well, usually I can, but sometimes when put on the spot I can't always think of what the picture is representing that fits with the letter.




They went backpacking one day, walking down to the park that is just down the street to play on the toys and picnic eating bologna sandwiches. Among other things they talked about birds and bugs and bears and bats and beetles and butterflies. They heard the story of the Bremen Town Musicians and learned some Russian words that went along with it.
One day they made bead necklaces. I thought Max's turned out really cool. I liked his bead choices. I thought that maybe he'd made it for me to wear, but no, unfortunately he wouldn't let me wear it.




I'm not sure why these pictures ended up being shirtless--he usually does insist on wearing a shirt. I was just thinking we'd seen a few too many striped shirt pictures on the blog, and that day he was wearing a *surprise* striped shirt. So whatever.

What snacks did they eat during the Buh weeks you're wondering? Well among others, they ate: bleu cheese, brie cheese, broccoli, bagels, brussel sprouts (I say to that buh-buh-blah), blueberries, blackberries and beets (again, I say buh-buh-blech!!).

They made bean bags one day, that turned out great, and another day they did some blot art. His ended up looking very much like a bat to me, appropriately.


So the buhs turned out to be fun. Our biggest school challenge with Max right now is coloring. He really has no interest in coloring, especially not in staying inside the lines of anything. So we're working on that. So far no progress, but I'm sure eventually we can learn how to make it fun. Or at least that's my hope.
Stay tuned for the next installment.

8 comments:

Megan said...

Wow. That is QUITE the preschool. How many helper teachers does Max have in his classroom? Cause I don't think I could ever manage to do all that for each letter of the alphabet... but maybe if I had extra teacher helpers it would work. Max is an amazing jewelry artist... maybe I could get him an apprentice-ship (is that what its called?) with my aunt. Max is brilliant and don't worry about the crayons... it'll come. He's got time.

Ginna said...

Megs,
his school is pretty small. I think that they have something like 30 kids, maybe a few more. There's the main teacher, the lady that owns the place, and then she has usually about three others there helping her at any given time. I think there are about 5 of the helpers that rotate through. She also has a separate lady that comes for music and another that comes to teach something else.
And yeah. let's hook Max up with your Aunt, on the condition that he makes the necklaces for ME!

Kathy said...

What a brillant child but then of course look at his parents. What else would we expect. Love the shirtless pictures. He is so adorable.

Tiffany said...

Max's preschool looks like so much fun! I loved the art projects! He's so talented!!

Anonymous said...

what could he be pointing at in the first picture? my guess, an alien in front of him and a UFO flying above.

Megan said...

Ginny- call me 830-4352. I live up in Woods Cross but will be in Provo at my grandma's tonight and at Joel's on Friday.

Lisa said...

I meant to make this comment earlier, but obviously failed to do so. Max has the cutest jeans ever! What brand are they? Seriously, they are so stylish and very cool. Looking forward to hearing all about the letter C!

Ginna said...

Lisa,
max is wearing some sort of fit from Baby Gap--we have found we do like the BabyGap jeans the best, they have a cool adjustable feature, and they do look hip, don't they?
Thanks :)